Rangers v Aberdeen

17 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Just being realistic. If we were to win the league before we were really ready it could set us back. As often posited on here, we are a work in progress.

You saying you would be happy to win the league without getting at least one over on our greatest rivals?

YES!

12 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

I'll be very pissed off if we don't beat them and dont win the league.

In a one-off game we can beat them but this team isn't yet at a level to win the league.

Too many unresolved issues that will need time and further transfer windows to address.

20 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Shinnie's doing the role for them now that Jack used to do - and doing it better at the moment. He is versatile. Not a bad player actually. He could fit in to the left side of our midfield. Not that I'm advocating we sign him.

Saw him mentioned in the transfer thread too. I have a distinct dislike for him for years though, as he is that sort of hard-tackling-yet-whining-when-struck guy, who is constantly disputing decisions against himself and his teammates, no matter how ridiculous that is.

But more importantly, players of the wee teams get away with that sort of stuff or these challenges (remember May wrecking Jack, or the Dons chap stamping on Morelos' ankle with nothing whatsoever), yet if they wear our colours, they'd last for about 15 mins before getting booked or worse. When you see what Morelos alone gets booked or red carded for, you know the tune.

Two days after the event.

Listening to McInnes after the Betfred cup final, he banged on about going man to man all round the field against ra Sellik. He did the same against us on Wednesday. It works until one of our men gets past an Aberdeen player, then opportunities are available. Twice, the first half, I remember Middleton standing up the full back and getting past. Of course, in the second we drew Middleton deeper. We passed all around the Dons, they ran along side mostly, not committing to the tackle, showing us avenues that culminated in dead ends. I doubt if both Goldson and McAuley will ever see so much of the ball again?

The other thing is tempo. We need a metronome in midfield, someone to dictate the pace we play. I think Arfield does that in part. It would be easy to point the finger at a few players who abdicated responsibility, but I don't think it would help. The likes of McCrorie's combative qualities should not be dismissed, he was part of a most successful midfield against Aberdeen last season. Maybe Ryan Kent's trickery was missed too?

We must recognise two games against the Dons and possibly two/three opportunities created and none taken. We are the top scorers in the SPFL and our only goal against the Dandies has been from a penalty. The narrative will become McInnes out thinks Gerrard. If Steve Davis is available in January, he would solve a few of the problems noted above, particularly tempo.  

Unless I am mistaken, we still had one substitution left (only Lafferty and Grezda came on) and I was wondering why neither Halliday or Rossiter were picked. The latter has a good range of passing and shoots from distance, which only Lafferty does when presented the chance. Likewise, Halliday knows to playy the game long or play a killer pass, which neither Coulibaly nor Ejaria were able to. And if things don't work, you should change them. Perhaps SG decided that those on the park should redeem themselves on the day by pulling themselves out of the self-created hole OR suffer the consequences.

It essentially was Livingston all over again, only that Livingston actually wants to play more football themselves. That was as vile a performance by an opposition teams as I can remember. Sure, reporters and co. will come up claiming that they had any right to do this, as gaining three points at Ibrox is the dream target of any of the wee teams, some will even hail their performance as maginificent. At the same note, that type of football will get them nowhere* and will keep the Scottish game in the dire levels that it finds itself in. That's the reason why - for years - any team outside the OF is being kicked out of Europe by essentially any other side they face. But as long as * is being achieved, who cares?! ?

*Thing is, for most teams and their support, getting in the top half and beating the Old Firm usually is x-mas and birthday falling together.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Unless I am mistaken, we still had one substitution left (only Lafferty and Grezda came on) and I was wondering why neither Halliday or Rossiter were picked. The latter has a good range of passing and shoots from distance, which only Lafferty does when presented the chance. Likewise, Halliday knows to playy the game long or play a killer pass, which neither Coulibaly nor Ejaria were able to. And if things don't work, you should change them. Perhaps SG decided that those on the park should redeem themselves on the day by pulling themselves out of the self-created hole OR suffer the consequences.

It essentially was Livingston all over again, only that Livingston actually wants to play more football themselves. That was as vile a performance by an opposition teams as I can remember. Sure, reporters and co. will come up claiming that they had any right to do this, as gaining three points at Ibrox is the dream target of any of the wee teams, some will even hail their performance as maginificent. At the same note, that type of football will get them nowhere* and will keep the Scottish game in the dire levels that it finds itself in. That's the reason why - for years - any team outside the OF is being kicked out of Europe by essentially any other side they face. But as long as * is being achieved, who cares?! ?

*Thing is, for most teams and their support, getting in the top half and beating the Old Firm usually is x-mas and birthday falling together.

I would have brought on McCrorie for Ejaria and stuck McAuley up front for the last 5-10 minutes