[FT] Dundee 1 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 21)

41 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We have so many average midfielders.  Reinforcements are definitely required.

Jack seems to escape criticism but I think he has been unimpressive recently.  

I am a big defender of Jack at times but admit he hasn't been very good recently

14 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

I am a big defender of Jack at times but admit he hasn't been very good recently

I like him too.  He does a good job most of the time.  

All of our midfielders look like they could do with either a consistent game changer or a real leader in there with them.  I don't think we have any rubbish midfielders but unfortunately, none of them are in the class that will win us our league back.

Edited by Gonzo79

I think the balance of the midfield has been an issue for us all season.

Coulibaly started off well but since the death of his parent he's gone well off the boil.  Understandably perhaps but I wouldn't be playing him until his head is sorted.

Jack is a good player but perhaps isn't necessary in most SPFL situations.  He's not a player that will create chances or score goals so shouldn't feature in situations where we need that.

Ejaria is clearly skilful and had lots of potential but he also hides or falls out of games far too easily.  He also doesn't do enough in the final third.

Arfield is a player that can do the business in forward areas and without him we struggle.  Not having an alternative whilst we still have McCrorie, Rossiter, Dorrans and others to play the deeper roles is a mistake from Mark Allen.  Perhaps Grezda can fulfil that role but it's not an ideal solution.  Can Stephen Kelly step in?

This conundrum, along with our obvious problems in attack without Morelos, is pressing ahead of tomorrow's game.

Dundee have beaten us at Dens in the last two seasons. They will have confidence after their last three results. We will have to be up for it and play well to win. It will be a measurement on how far we have improved or not from the last two seasons. 

8 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Lafferty needs to make the most of his opportunity tomorrow.

I do get the impression SG none too impressed with him so far

Lafferty hasn't been able to get up a head of steam.

I'd give him the three games this week and at the sametime show Alfredo that his place isn't automatic.

What Lafferty needs though is that the team play in such a way that gets the ball and supporting players up to him and gives him the opportunity to assist/score goals.

We could do with Dundee showing some ambition to score goals rather than sitting-in and playing on the break.

If they sit-in and are organised, then it won't be a surprise for anyone, least of all our management team and they need to have something different up their sleeves ready to break dundee down. Options are limited and part of that would be a determined attitude throughout the team and accompanying fast tempo.

Edited by buster.

11 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I like him too.  He does a good job most of the time.  

All of our midfielders look like they could do with either a consistent game changer or a real leader in there with them.  I don't think we have any rubbish midfielders but unfortunately, none of them are in the class that will win us our league back.

I think SG&Co need three transfer windows before they should be expected to have a team that can consistently win and that's 3 windows with decent backing (therein is another issue).

Ideally we'd lessen our dependency on loan deals, eg. replace Coulibaly with Docherty and start to see one or two more coming through from the academy.

The main problem I see is impatience, that drives an unreasonable and almost impossible expectation timescale.

After that you have to factor in viability and risk management.

Happy with that team - getting Kent, Barisic and Rossiter all fit could be important for the rest of the season.

Three points is a must today but Dens Park isn't usually a place we do well at.