[FT] Dundee 1 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 21)

31 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Middleton, to me, is an out and out old-fashioned winger who beats the FB& delivers balls into the box for the striker(s). When all he’s got to aim for is Lafferty his task becomes difficult if not impossible.

Not sure I’d play Middleton thro the middle as I don’t think he’d be as effective there.

He did well enough against Ayr Utd when played through the middle.  Knows where the goals are and is a fairly accomplished striker of the ball.

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Middleton, to me, is an out and out old-fashioned winger who beats the FB& delivers balls into the box for the striker(s). When all he’s got to aim for is Lafferty his task becomes difficult if not impossible.

Not sure I’d play Middleton thro the middle as I don’t think he’d be as effective there.

Normally I would agree about him being a winger, however, today he could hardly get by their right back and mostly handed off to Baricic.

It seems as though there’s a clash between our formation and our style of play. We largely play long ball (especially away from home). But 4-5-1 is a short passing formation. We need to change one or the other, either change formation and have two up front so there’s more than one man to get on the end of a ball over the top, and someone to knock the ball on to. Or change style to passing the ball on the deck more and getting the striker to link up properly with the midfield rather than launching he ball to him and expecting him to be able to do something with it. 

Edited by DMAA

10 hours ago, barca72 said:

Normally I would agree about him being a winger, however, today he could hardly get by their right back and mostly handed off to Baricic.

This is what I didn't get about the Middleton and Barasic subs. Middleton was on to get to get down their right side and get crosses in. Barasic then came and provided the exact same option as he could play further up the pitch due to the 10 men therefore Middleton was not really needed IMO. It was baffling

2 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

This is what I didn't get about the Middleton and Barasic subs. Middleton was on to get to get down their right side and get crosses in. Barasic then came and provided the exact same option as he could play further up the pitch due to the 10 men therefore Middleton was not really needed IMO. It was baffling

As soon as I saw Barisic coming on I thought two things... 1. "This is to get him minutes to build his match fitness" and 2.  "This makes little sense because Middleton and Barisic offer the exact same thing in that they look to get to the byline and whip crosses in.  In a sense, we balanced out the 10 men of Dundee.

What we could have done in having both on the pitch was move Middleton to the right and Candeias or Grezda to the left - that way the left flank had both left and right footed deliveries and likewise down the right flank.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's a bit worrying that Gerrard seems to prioritise game time and squad rotation over winning.

To be fair I suspect he was looking at both, certainly in Barisic's case yesterday.

Would you prefer Barisic or Halliday or Flanagan going in against Hibs and Celtic later this month ?

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Would you prefer Barisic or Halliday or Flanagan going in against Hibs and Celtic later this month

Would be most comfortable with Halliday as he is more determined than other two,Barisic yes but Flanagan a weak link so no,would still like to see Wallace featuring with his experience,but it looks like SG is being manipulated on this one.