[FT] Dundee 1 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 21)

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It’ll be really interesting to see how we set up. You could tell Gerrard was feeling the anger and frustration from the stands when he made two attacking subs by 52 minutes. 

I hope he fits in Middleton, Grezda and Candeias with one playing off the striker. 

An alternative more attacking set up would be to put Middleton up front tonform

a big man-wee man partnership with Lafferty and Grezda playing on the left. 

If Barisic is available to start then we could bring out the 3-5-2.

McGregor

McAuley    Goldsen    Worral

Tav    McCrorie    Candeias     Jack    Barisic

Lafferty    Middleton

2 hours ago, buster. said:

If Barisic is available to start then we could bring out the 3-5-2.

McGregor

McAuley    Goldsen    Worral

Tav    McCrorie    Candeias     Jack    Barisic

Lafferty    Middleton

Not my preference as I’ve said previously. We should make more use of width and not less. And 3 centre backs is a waste against the team who’re bottom. 

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

Not my preference as I’ve said previously. We should make more use of width and not less. And 3 centre backs is a waste against the teams who’s bottom. 

I don't think Dundee are currently playing like a bottom placed team and don't know enough about how they are likely to set-up to strongly advocate X or Y system.

If Dundee copy how Livingston and Aberdeen sat in against us then SG&Co have to find a way to create chances.

In the four domestic defeats this season we haven't scored a goal and almost worse, have never looked like scoring.

The training pics showed serious faces listening to SG but what is more important is that come the Kick-off tomorrow, that they play to the top of their game and carry out the instructions. The recurring middle to front issue points toward a rather obvious empty hole within the squad make-up but the management need to find a short-term solution that lends to the creation of chances.

We have the players to win this game and win well. It is all about the eleven players on the park wanting to win and having the ability to win. None of the players can hide as we saw against Aberdeen and for me it is time to freshen things up. With Barisic and Kent fit they both have to be considered for the starting line up. Coulibaly and Ejaria were poor against Aberdeen and for me I would pair Ryan Jack and Rossiter. I am convinced that, with Arfield suspended and other players injured, these two players would work well together. I might even be tempted to play Kent through the middle but then I am not a Lafferty fan. He was very lucky not to be red carded against Aberdeen and since his return from Hearts he has offered very little. We are short of quality strikers and unless one of our young kids is a latter day Derek Johnstone and can come straight into the side and be a superstar we need to find a striker in the January transfer window.

We don't need Tav if we go 3-5-2. His deliveries from set-pieces have been below average by his standards for ages. Why he was taking corners ahead of Middleton is still beyond me. When was the last time he scored a free kick or from open play?

But who will cover ... well, the left-sided CH and/or either McCrorie or Jack - aside from Candeias, who does rather well in tracking back. So taking a line up from above, why not ...

McGregor

Goldsen - McAuley- Worral

McCrorie/Rossiter - Jack

Candeias - Grezda - Barisic

Lafferty - Middleton

I doubt that Barisic will be thrown in straight away, but who knows?! I have no doubt whatsoever that Ejaria will play if fit, no matter what. And I do get the distinct feeling that we have some naughty clause in his Liverpool-loan-deal included that this has to be done - a similar feeling I had with Zelalem. Dunno about Coulibaly, but the same may also go for Kent. Both Liverpool chaps have been playing far too much games / minutes even when off form, IMHO. At the expense of Rossiter, Grezda, Lafferty, McCrorie et al.

But honestly, what we will see tomorrow is a nominal 4-3-3 again ...

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - McAuley - Flanagan/Halliday

Jack - Ejaria - Coulibaly

Candeias - Lafferty - Middleton/Grezda

Where Grezda might also play instead of Candeias, and Worrall be used either for Goldson or McAuley. All in all, Plan A again, but attempting "to make it better".

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, Pensively Staring said:

It's Dundee we're playing, not Barcalona so we should be tearing them up for arse paper from the get go. 

Agreed. Celtic have just thrashed a much better side than Dundee, we should be going there to attack and score plenty goals and send a message. 

19 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

find a place for Halliday in the midfield somewhere before Ejaria or Coullibaly

We have so many average midfielders.  Reinforcements are definitely required.

Jack seems to escape criticism but I think he has been unimpressive recently.