Despite the impact of James Tavernier this season and his expressions of his qualities, does he have the attributes to be a Rangers captain? Barry Ferguson, you will never meet a bigger Rangers man. He was a player I grew up watching and along with Nacho Novo, a player I admired. But, even Ferguson was stripped of the armband during his impressive career at the club.

To be a captain at such a prestigious footballing institution, you not only need passion, but determination and leadership. You need to be aggressive yet positive and be truthful when players are below par. With Steven Gerrard at the helm, we could not ask for a better person to spot a skipper. A Champions League winning captain and England captain at two World Cups, Gerrard is full of leadership experience.

Despite the love Tav has at Ibrox along with his improvements as a defensive player, does he fit the mould? With other possible great captains, our number two needs to grab his position by the scruff of the neck as captain and prove he has what takes to lead the side.

The idea of stripping Tavernier has been doing the rounds on social media and I have seen this split opinion. Whether fans want a new captain or keep our current one, both sides have created viable views to support their opinion. Of course, our stand-out man this season Allan McGregor has been one of the names suggested to take over the arm band. With 217 appearances for the club, you can see why he has been suggested. Ryan Jack can often be seen bellowing out orders to team mates and for me is a key player in our midfield, who gives players like Arfield and Ejaria the freedom to go forward. So, Ryan Jack is always going to be there or thereabouts when discussing either a new captain or future one if Tavernier went elsewhere. Furthermore, new boy and Rangers man Gareth McAuley, when given his time on the pitch, always acts as a leader of men, using his vast experience. First impressions of this was when Gerrard selected him against Villarreal. Gareth came on and from the get-go was busy organising and sorting out the back-line. Despite all the possible candidates, what has brought this debate to the surface?

On the back of a great result away at Tynecastle, things were looking up. Go and beat Aberdeen midweek and continue the momentum at Dens Park. As we all know this has not gone to plan. The defeat on Wednesday to the Dons has cast a shadow over the Hearts result. After the loss to Aberdeen, the surfacing of the captain’s debate began. It seems that whenever we lose, the questions are asked. But if Steven Gerrard has put the responsibility on James Tavernier, surely this is what matters. For me, McGregor could be a better option. Jack could be a better option. However, they are only ‘could be’s’.

Giving post-match interviews Tav always gives an honest reaction, positive or negative. He does not hide behind anything. If the performance was not good enough, he will admit it. The right back is an influence on the pitch, he takes the penalties, very well and looks to provide assists down the flanks at any given opportunities – and this season has done some essential work on his defensive game. The debate seems a little harsh because it has overshadowed the lack of quality shown at Ibrox in midweek. Despite the idea of a new captain, this is not the answer. In January a new striker to provide further competition from Lafferty towards Alfredo Morelos is a must. Settling on a strong midfield three also needs to be in focus. Giving our captain added pressure could affect his further performances. As a club we need to channel the focus on Gerrard putting his stamp on things more at Ibrox.

In closing, although other players could be capable to take the arm band, and some fans are calling for a change, this is not the priority. Yes, James Tavernier is imperfect, but with Steven Gerrard’s backing we must trust in the process happening at our club. Teams are a better place with more than one leader. It is not all about the right back. Not having the arm band is not a restriction. All players should have their say. Some are more vocal than others but James Tavernier can lead our club with our backing.

Let’s hope he will lead the team out at Dens Park and we can put the Aberdeen game behind us with a few goals. Onwards and upwards.

We can talk about yesteryear, the titles and the players but we shouldn't confuse that with todays cold reality.

When SG talked about 'Big Players' steping-up in the 'big moments' in 'big games'........it was true and sounded good but the problem is that we don't currently have 'Big Players'. He later (rightly) retracted somewhat on the criticisms he had made towards the players because it was a dangerous road to go down.

Likewise, the 'Captain Debate' hasn't got much room for current manoeuvre.

We need to trust SG&Co and let them carry out their plans over a reasonable length of time, instead of everything coming up for question after every negative result. 

IMO, Tav has been the best Rangers player over the last several years, is likely to start most games and has often been the creative drive for the team.

Four of the five stalwarts who stood in front of Bobby Brown in the Iron Curtain, Young, Shaw, Woodburn and Cox, were captains of the Scottish international side. Strange that Ian McColl, possibly best qualified for the job, didn’t although he was occasionally team captain of Rangers.

Excellent fellow though Tavernier may be I don’t think he has the bloody-minded qualities of any of them. Shearer, Greig, Gough - they all had it in spades.

I don't believe that we have had what us older Rangers Fans would refer to as Captain material for a number of years. Certainly Tavernier is as good as any that have preceded him since the departure of Walter Smith and what followed. It could be argued that McGregor would do a better job but then we have the arguments of whether goalkeepers make the best captains, and yes Klos didn't do too bad in his day.

For me, until we have a born leader in the team and so long as we hold on to Tav, he should stay as captain.

Of the players currently at the club, some of our young players could have the potential to lead the team. Rossiter showed with England Under 21's that he has the qualities but right now there is no guarantee that he can stay fit or indeed secure his place in the team. McCrorie again is a youngster that might have potential as a future captain but again he is young and finding it difficult to secure his position in the team.

Leaders are born that way. It is the same in any industry and football is no different. You only need to look at Souness, Gough, and Gerrard himself to see that.

I was somewhat surprised that he was made club captain. Not re his personality as such, but because he was not exactly a top performer (even though stats will prove that wrong - about which I don't care) and as we have seen throughout these last three years, he's not a  captain-like leader on the park either.

Good to see another contributor writing their first piece for the site.  Cam is a young journalism student and put this together the other day as part of a talk he did at uni.

FWIW, I'm not convinced about Tav's leadership qualities but he's one of few players we have who:

1.  Is almost always available.

2.  Never hides during games.

3.  Has played to a decent standard now for the club and has tried to improve his faults.

4.  His discipline is good and he doesn't get involved with opposition players or officials.

Does that make him our best captain?  Maybe, maybe not but I think Steven Gerrard and others will know better than us as to how respected he must be by the rest of the squad and staff.