The point of a Captain is to embody the " philosophy" of the manager and make sure the players around him keep to a high standard. 

Tav is far too hot and cold for that and to be honest, I can't see captaincy being a thing in the near future, players are so fragile these days you get called a bully for shouting at them. 

To his credit however, he's displayed some big balls when taking our penalties. Barry Ferguson was a total bed wetter when it came to penalties. 

Edited by Pensively Staring

6 hours ago, Frankie said:

FWIW, I'm not convinced about Tav's leadership qualities but he's one of few players we have who:

1.  Is almost always available.

2.  Never hides during games.

3.  Has played to a decent standard now for the club and has tried to improve his faults.

4.  His discipline is good and he doesn't get involved with opposition players or officials.

My thoughts exactly. Of course he’s not a Gough or a Ferguson, but he’s been very consistent and has been chosen by Gerrard.

Re McGregor, a keeper shouldn’t be captain in my opinion, you need someone who is in a position to communicate with the whole team during the game, ideally a centre mid.

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

My thoughts exactly. Of course he’s not a Gough or a Ferguson, but he’s been very consistent and has been chosen by Gerrard.

Re McGregor, a keeper shouldn’t be captain in my opinion, you need someone who is in a position to communicate with the whole team during the game, ideally a centre mid.

McGregor has been magnificent since he's returned but he's always far too eager to get involved in situations that could cause issues for the team.  For that reason I find it hard to see him as a captain but I also think Tav is perhaps too passive.

All things considered though I want to see a big reaction from all our players tomorrow.

I think Tavernier is one of our best players, and is the obvious candidate -- in a group that has very few.

McGregor is a captain already; he just doesn't need the armband. 

We need more 'captains' all over the pitch, which I think is coming through Gerrard's influence. I think Jack should be stepping up, as he was captain at Aberdeen. Arfield is becoming a leader too, and Halliday is always around. 

It's difficult because most are new or on loan. I think 'captains' will emerge when we get a settled squad, of quality.