Anyone see Messi against Espanyol at the weekend ?  His two free kicks absolutely sublime and with the second one he just turns away and starts walking back to the halfway line as if to say "Yeah, I do this for fun, no big deal".

And the piece of play, in tight quarters, which led to Dembele's goal ?  Amazing how he somehow managed to escape 3 defenders, have no time yet still somehow see Dembele to his left, feeding him the pass to finish in the far corner.

We could argue the whole "greatest ever tag" from now till eternity - but I have NEVER seen a player who can do the things with a ball that Messi does.  Well, aside from Andy Halliday's free kick at Dens yesterday morning :ninja:

4 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

Yes I saw it mate. Fifth best player in the world according to Ballon d'or - don't think so ? STILL better than Ronaldo

Ballon d’Or has become little more than a PR stunt.  Nordic has an excellent year.... but better than Messi ?  Nah.  Same With ronaldo.  Great player but better than Messi ?  Nope.

The key to 'best player ever', 'world class' etc is consistency. And Messi has consistency been the best player on the planet (i dare not say globe ? ) for over a decade now and he is certainly in the contention for best player ever. But comparing players from different generations is so difficult especially in Tennis.

Can you imagine Maradona playing on the bowling green surfaces now with advancements in boots and balls etc along with off the field things and not getting hacked. Could Messi have done what Maradona did and taken a 3rd / 4th best team in the country to two titles at the same time as 2 WC finals with one win!? Too difficult to say. But I try to think if Messi could go to say a Sevilla or Valencia and win them the title like Maradona did with Napoli with AC Milan and Juventus being the power houses.

There is no wrong or right answer for best player, its an opinion and can only be decided by ones opinion. I prefer to keep to players I saw / watched and Maradona wins it for me. Messi has moved into second place though. Id probably say Ronaldo now is up there in my top 5 with Zidane and the Real Ronaldo. 

I was thinking another debate recently also was all time Premier League team. For years IMO it was always quite straight forward with selection from the below:

Seaman / Schmeichel

Neville

Adams / Desailly

Terry / Rio

Cole

Ronaldo

Keane / Scholes

Vieira / Gerrard

Giggs

Bergkamp / Shearer

Henry

All those did it over a period of time but another generation has passed and the following players could now be included when picking a team: Cech, De Gea, Vidic, Hazard, De Bruyne, David Silva, Aguero. These players would easily substitute. A possible way of doing it is by decade. 90s team, 00s team, 10s team.