[FT] Rapid Vienna 1 - 0 Rangers

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

We've had a good run in Europe, better than anyone could ever have imagined at the start of the season. 

I never expected a win tonight, now we are out it's time to concentrate on domestic football, it's just wrong to start blaming individual players tonight, upwards and onwords. 

Absolutely Ian. We competed in the most competitive group in the competition. Id say we are further ahead than we thought we would be. This season was always about getting closer but as we have seen potential there is a demand again to go on an win the league, but to be in a title race at this stage is what we should all be appreciating.

Not unlike the past really.

Good start in group, followed by slide DWDLDL and exit.

Athough we've punched above our weight in Europe this season, this group has ended up being a real opportunity squandered or at least that is what it feels like.

55 countries enter European competition.

48 teams left in Europe

23 belong to Spain, England, Germany and Italy.

The financial gap keeps growing, it's getting to be like a different sport................ a reflection of parts of society.

Consider Rangers position at this time last season?

I was both surprised and delighted that we negotiated four Euro qualifiers, and competed in our Europa League without embarrassment. We won two of the head to heads, 3-2 against Rapid and scoring two away goals against Villarreal. I think we would have triumphed over Moscow too, if the goal by Morelos had stood(it was clearly on side) and we would have gone 4-2 ahead? Anyways, I am comforted by the monies accrued from our involvement.

We have improved, and hopefully we can confirm that improvement by maintaining a title challenge. 

3 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Europe has been a fantastic distraction but it has also helped paper over the cracks in our domestic form. When you consider we are 1pt better off than we were at this time last year it shows how erratic we have been.

We need to attempt to find a settled XI and stick with it. IMO squad rotation can only work with teams that have played together for a while and have a recognisable style of play. 

agreed, need stability.

Edited by gaspard