[FT] Rapid Vienna 1 - 0 Rangers

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

We can't discard players after a few games, especially players who cost decent money.

Grezda is a player who has ability but would seem to be in one of two camps, 1) needs time to adapt / lacks pre-season isn't 100% or  2) a player who won't take to the Scottish game / pressure of playing for a big club.

He may spark into life in the second half of the season, especially if we can bring a creative midfielder in.

I'm not discarding anyone! I am merely giving an opinion on player who for me hasn't shown much, I hope he proves me wrong.

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

I actually think it's mostly to do with how the team has played in the past few games and the fact he's often been brought on after we've largely already blown it and things are a bit frantic and hopeless. Due to our set up and a lack of confidence it seems we haven't played fluid football in the final third and the wingers have been isolated and up against it. I think if he started every game on the same wing (left or right) and if we hit form and started attacking teams properly we'd see him flourish. I see more ability in him than any of our wingers.

Yes, very much agree with that.

It's been a difficult start for him and we need to be patient.

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I actually think it's mostly to do with how the team has played in the past few games and the fact he's often been brought on after we've largely already blown it and things are a bit frantic and hopeless. Due to our set up and a lack of confidence it seems we haven't played fluid football in the final third and the wingers have been isolated and up against it. I think if he started every game on the same wing (left or right) and if we hit form and started attacking teams properly we'd see him flourish. I see more ability in him than any of our wingers.

Candieas is a far better winger as is Kent, it is a toss up between Grezda & young Middleton who is better, IMO. But again we all see things different, the beauty of football

44 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That's the crux of the matter. I'm fine with this formation against decent teams who come out a bit, but not against teams who pose little to no threat because I'm not convinced we have the creative attacking midfielder necessary to break teams down consistently, and I think the evidence this season backs me up on that.

Against last night's opposition with their poor goal-scoring record and us needing the win I'd have gone 4-4-2 and taken the game to them. If that simply isn't happening then 4-2-3-1 with one of the defensive mids swapped out for Grezda.

I would've liked to have seen Grezda for Coulibaly earlier, or from the start -- or McCrorie with Coulibaly playing deeper.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on formation. A team can play the same formation defensively or gung-ho. Compare a wonderfully attacking Ajax side just now, to a Man Utd; both are playing a 4-2-3-1, with wildly different outlooks. Arguably, Man Utd play with more 'attacking' midfielders.   

Ultimately, too, I think if Candeias, Ejaria and Kent were available, they'd have played. It puts a different complexion on the team, but the tactics would've been the same, IMO.

Back from Vienna absolutely gutted that we didnt make it through. It was a very tight game with nothing between the sides, but our lack of creativity again was the difference. A creative midfielder and another striker or 2 are on every Bears January window wish-list. With Sadiq & Ejaria already gone to free up wages, hopefully these new players come in on Jan 1 and have the break away to settle in before the action starts again.

2 defeats in 14 European games this season is an incredible achievement, and if you look at the Europa League as 2-legged ties we beat 2 out of the 3 teams and should have beaten the other too. We will take some comfort when the dust settles from this I am sure.

The team is in a bit of a rut at the moment, of that there is no doubt, and this is when a rookie manager will feel the pressure the most. I hope his large team around him are earning their crust, as this is when it matters most. With 5 games to go until the mini-break it is vital we dont drop many more silly points. Of course the game on the 29th is looming large and we simply must show up for that one and beat them. 

However Hamilton are up first and simply must be dispatched with a minimum of fuss (and I think they will be) before a visit to Easter Road against a team who, like Dolly recently, will already be looking forward to our visit in an attempt to kickstart their season and give their rancid following (and manager) their seasonal highlight. I'm sure we will discuss that more nearer the time.

50 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Candieas is a far better winger as is Kent, it is a toss up between Grezda & young Middleton who is better, IMO. But again we all see things different, the beauty of football

As you say we all see things differently. We haven’t seen a great deal of Grezda and certainly not in a settled side winning games but I think he’s better than both and will show it soon. 

We haven't looked like a team that could get out of this group for a long time.. What we saw last night is what we've seen for weeks.  It's not good but it's probably  exactly what we should expect after one transfer window. We've done OK and certainly better than last season but we need a reboot and soon.