So it has come to pass that Susan Aitken leader of Glasgow city council has  rejected calls for begging on the streets of Glasgow to be outlawed ,this silly woman has just sent out a message saying  ,BEGGARS WELLCOME .

For politicians to both, in part create more poverty and prohibit displays of such would be reminiscent of one of the Government's many strategy ideas for Brexit, 'having cake and eating it'. 

The reverse being true for those at the sharp end.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

For politicians to both, in part create more poverty and prohibit displays of such would be reminiscent of one of the Government's many strategy ideas for Brexit, 'having cake and eating it'. 

The reverse being true for those at the sharp end.

While waiting for someone, in Glasgow city centre, I witnessed something very odd.

A man was sitting outside the front door of a book shop and begging to passers by.  A lady purchased him a sausage roll from a near by baker.  The man thanked her and she went on her way.  After a few more minutes the man stood up and walked to the edge of the road and, quite deliberately, dropped the sausage roll near the gutter.  He then returned to sit down and beg.

I couldn't begin to understand what he was thinking about but it appears that he neither wants to have 'cake' nor eat 'cake'.

Could it be that many beggars are not driven by absolute poverty but rather encouraged by the willingness for fools to part with cash?

6 hours ago, compo said:

So it has come to pass that Susan Aitken leader of Glasgow city council has  rejected calls for begging on the streets of Glasgow to be outlawed ,this silly woman has just sent out a message saying  ,BEGGARS WELLCOME .

To ban begging would be extreme.

I think that we need to accept that it is part of life in the city.

Beggars will always remain as long as people give them money.

I don't understand why people want to ban begging on the street. Many of the same people are awash with moral justification when they happily hand their money over to beggars in government, who often spend it a lot less wisely.

"I'd happily pay more tax if it it helps provide better public services."

Yeah, like that'll come true.

It's an extremely unlikely 'if'.

There are people who parade around outside the Houses of Parliament every day, with EU flags, who obviously think we need to provide additional funding to another layer of bureaucrats and politicians.  

Now that is veering towards completely delusional.

A few beggars are a minor problem compared to political gravy trains.