[FT] Rangers 1 - 0 Hamilton (Candeias 3')

Steven Gerrard has called on Rangers to return to winning ways when they host Hamilton in a "very important" game on Sunday.

Having been top of the Scottish Premiership earlier this month, Rangers have since lost to Aberdeen, drawn with struggling Dundee and been knocked out of the Europa League after a 1-0 defeat to Rapid Vienna.

"We have had a tough week in terms of results, so we need to get back to winning ways," said Gerrard.

Steven Gerrard says his side will need to be at their best to beat Hamilton in the Scottish Premiership as they aim to return to winning ways

"The Hamilton fixture becomes very important to us and it is important the players understand that.

"Emotions are always running high in the dressing room, the media and the terraces after a couple of bad results so it is important we get back to winning."

Rangers won 4-1 when the two sides met in October.

Team news

Rangers' Alfredo Morelos is suspended but Daniel Candeias returns from a European ban.

Ovie Ejaria's involvement is uncertain after manager Steven Gerrard admitted he would be holding talks with the "unsettled" on-loan Liverpool midfielder.

Ryan Kent (hamstring) is still out along with long-term absentees Graham Dorrans and Jamie Murphy (both knee).

Match stats

Rangers have won 14 of their 16 Scottish Premiership games against Hamilton (D1 L1), including each of the last two by an aggregate scoreline of 9-4.

Hamilton's only victory against Rangers in the Scottish Premiership came in their last visit to Ibrox in November 2017 (2-0), having failed to win any of their previous six away matches against them in the competition (D1 L5).

Rangers were beaten 1-0 by Aberdeen in their last Scottish Premiership game at Ibrox, ending a run of 10 home league matches without defeat (W9 D1) - they last lost consecutive home fixtures in the top-flight back in March.

Hamilton have lost four of their last five Scottish Premiership games (W1), failing to score in each of those defeats.

James Tavernier has been directly involved in eight goals in his last eight appearances for Rangers in the Scottish Premiership (3 goals, 5 assists).

https://www.skysports.com/football/rangers-vs-hamilton/preview/391243

How is the weather in the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor this evening - is the snow and freezing rain that was forecast turning into a reality? I'm asking because like many others I'm wondering if there's any point spending several hours in the car trying to get to Ibrox ... and how early I'll need to set off?

Very cold and wet in Glasgow(Whiteinch) not that far from Ibrox as the crow flies,easy for me to get there via subway otherwise I might not be going.

Will have to wrap up well but luckily being in Sandy Jardine front under shelter helps.

Safe journey if you travel.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

How is the weather in the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor this evening - is the snow and freezing rain that was forecast turning into a reality? I'm asking because like many others I'm wondering if there's any point spending several hours in the car trying to get to Ibrox ... and how early I'll need to set off?

We've had rain, sleet and snow in East Lothian with a very slight covering as of now.

However, it has stopped now and the temps seem to have risen a bit so I'm sure we'll be fine for tomorrow afternoon!

Weather  is fine string  vest and pants and a wee hip flask is acceptable. 

But today wont be as easy as some think let's hope none of our lads have a European hangover and get the job done ,I am just wondering how many changes he will make today it's hard to achieve consistency with tinkering .

No prizes for guessing how Hamilton will set-up.

We've had a good run of getting early goals in our league matches at Ibrox and that was very much the main reason behind the good home run we had. Stating the bleeding obvious but if we get one today then it's likely we'll end up with a comfortable victory but if we don't it might get frustrating and uncomfortable. 

Our last two games at Ibrox, we have produced 2 red cards and no goals.

One of those cards mean that Morelos is suspended today which will probably give Lafferty a start.

No Kent (injury) and no Ejaria (gone) will mean opportunities for others. I'd like to see Ross McCrorie continue and get back to where he was a year ago. 

As for creativity, I think it'll be our full backs (Tav & Barisic) who'll be relied upon but Lafferty can't be left up front without close support.

Without Morelos leading the line we look awfully inept. Take out Kent as well from our creative pool and we are left with pretty much Arfield. This is going to be a tough watch, but we simply must get the sleeves rolled up and get the 3 points anyway we can.

An early goal would be a huge relief, but if that doesnt come we must remain patient and keep working away. The crowd will be unforgiving due to recent results if passes start going astray if we are still deadlocked (or worse!) after half an hour.

I just dont see where the chances are going to be made from. Candieas doesnt create much, Lafferty will work hard and win his headers but if more than Arfield are not supporting him we are going to struggle. Jack, McCrorie, Rossiter etc dont create anything and only one of this lot should play but our lack of creative players means probably more than one will play. Jack must stop hiding in midfield and get forward to support the forward. Jockeying for position in the midfield when we dont have the ball is only half the job, and he is completely posted missing at the other half in my view, and he has to step up now. I expect Middleton to start and after a couple of poor games we could really do with his direct running and attacking play to be on fire today. That would be a big help but I dont like to ask too much of kids who are still very raw and early in their development.

Our best chance might come from set pieces. Goldson and McAulay will be a threat in their box and if we can get Tav back to his dead-ball best we can have good chances here. 

Barasic may well be rested after 90 mins on Thursday, so Halliday should come back in (please not the bombscare Scouser!). After our last 3 games, performances and results, we could hardly have hand-picked a better opponent at home for our next game to get our confidence back against a really struggling poor side. I dont expect a classic, but I want to see a reaction, effort, pace and direction from our side today. If we can pass the ball quickly with a real zip on it, we will beat most sides, and I think this has been missing in recent weeks as our defensive midfielders have not made space to collect the ball from the CH and carry it into space, or create space to receive the ball. We were doing this well at the start of the season, with many of the same players, so I hope SG has been banging this into them that this has to happen for us to get success.

Another cold wet miserable day will no doubt hear me say at least 5 times how I despair we dont play Mar-Nov, but lets get the 3 points Gers and move on to some really big tough games coming up.