Jeanette Findlay Finds Anti-Protestant Sectarianism Amusing

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...over-glasgows-2019-orange-marches/?ref=twtrec

I find it disgusting that someone who is so high up in one of our city’s great educational institutes finds it acceptable to openly laugh at anti-Protestant sectarianism.

It is also disgusting that this is simply accepted within this article.

I hope she loses her job over this but we all know she won’t.

It is also ridiculous that she openly admits to being born in the country and has lived here her whole life, yet she doesn't associate her nationality as Scottish. 
And she wouldn’t be offended if we asked her to “go home”.

Complete hypocrite

18 minutes ago, StuGers said:

How can Glasgow University continue to employ someone with such abhorrent unrepentant views?

To sack her for holding strong views on a thorny subject would likely equate to the kind of discrimination that she is allegedly campaigning against.   If she was to bring her employer into disrepute, that may be a different issue.

46 minutes ago, stewarty said:

To sack her for holding strong views on a thorny subject would likely equate to the kind of discrimination that she is allegedly campaigning against.   If she was to bring her employer into disrepute, that may be a different issue.

Surely she is bringing her employer into disrepute?

If I was to state in a national newspaper that I found issues of anti-Semitic racism was funny, I would fully expect to be out on my arse. Why should laughing at anti-Protestant prejudice be any less serious?

1 hour ago, StuGers said:

Surely she is bringing her employer into disrepute?

If I was to state in a national newspaper that I found issues of anti-Semitic racism was funny, I would fully expect to be out on my arse. Why should laughing at anti-Protestant prejudice be any less serious?

At the risk of going into bat for Findlay, something I have no desire to do...I think you are reaching.

"Jeanette Findlay throws her head back in a long throaty guffaw. The academic has just been asked if there is institutional discrimination against protestants in Scotland. It takes her a while to catch her breath. “You can say I laughed, wheezed and spluttered my tea,” she says. “You can say I nearly died.” Eventually, still giggling, she gets to her answer: individual protestants, she reckons, may well suffer prejudice but there is no systemic bias against them."

Take issue with her comment if you like but I don't see anything other than a strong view about a thorny subject, as I said above.

3 hours ago, stewarty said:

Take issue with her comment if you like but I don't see anything other than a strong view about a thorny subject, as I said above.

It's this sort of attitude they rely on to continue their assault.

I don't really disagree with it, on principle but turning a blind eye hasn't done us much good.

Edited by Gonzo79

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's this sort of attitude they rely on to continue their assault.

I don't really disagree with it, on principle but turning a blind eye hasn't done us much good.

Whether we like or agree with her is irrelevant.  What she has said there can't be construed as in any way detrimental to her employer as far as I can see... So what are they going to do about it? I would imagine it would all be grist to the mill if they tried.