Jeanette Findlay Finds Anti-Protestant Sectarianism Amusing

6 hours ago, stewarty said:

Agreed.  because when you look at the substance of what Findlay is quoted as saying in that piece, they are actually quite moderate and things I think the likes of Gonzo might also agree with...

"

What does she think of the now traditional approach to tackling sectarianism? “It’s a cover-up. It’s a determined and sustained campaign by successive administrations to refuse to identify what is happening to our community.

“People have peddled this false equivalence for too long. Why are we called Call It Out? We are saying ‘call it what it is’. Equally, if you see an example of anti-protestant bigotry, call it out, call it was it is. Don’t lump it together.”

This new mood dislikes the old messaging, that anti-Catholic and anti-protestant prejudice are, as characterised by Findlay, "two cheeks of the one arse". Findlay is scathing about charities such as Nil by Mouth, which she believes have misdiagnosed what used to be called Scotland’s Shame. The charity, she said, has had a "poisonous impact on all of this debate".

The way I read that is that she is upset that we are even mentioning anti-Protestant sectarianism in the same breath as she believes the two are in different scales currently.

I would argue that that is a complete nonsense.

7 minutes ago, StuGers said:

The way I read that is that she is upset that we are even mentioning anti-Protestant sectarianism in the same breath as she believes the two are in different scales currently.

I would argue that that is a complete nonsense.

Fair enough - I'd agree that its couched in words that are clever in the sense that she isn't saying too much, even as far as to say her opponents might agree with the words written plainly, whilst not quite revealing what we suspect is her real opinion.  

18 minutes ago, StuGers said:

How can an employee of Glasgow University openly laughing at a group of people saying they are persecuted not be construed as detrimental to the image of the university?

If my child was planning on studying Economics, I would certainly be guiding them elsewhere, and not only because her qualifications fall short.

Which is of course a choice you are free to make...

All I'm saying is that having read the article a couple of times, and putting myself in the shoes of her HR department at work, there is zero there that you could realistically pin on her as being detrimental to her employer, not least because it doesn't mention who that is.  She isn't speaking on their behalf, and the language used is clever enough to avoid saying too much that is overly controversial.  

I've had people at my work pulled into meetings because they tweeted, jokingly, about smoking dope - with no reference to the employer on their Twitter page.

Laughing about discrimination, publicly, would get you in trouble in quite a lot of jobs these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2018 at 11:39, StuGers said:

How can Glasgow University continue to employ someone with such abhorrent unrepentant views?

There are quite a few within Glasgow University who appear to be openly unrepentant and anti Protestant. I have seen nobody condemn it therefore, I presume it’s condoned in some parts.

Edited by cooponthewing