Jeanette Findlay Finds Anti-Protestant Sectarianism Amusing

Isn't Glasgow University publicly funded?

Imagine this...

Journalist: "Jeannette, do you think there is institutional Islamopohobia apparent in Scotland?".

Jeanette: "You can say I laughed, wheezed and spluttered my tea.  You can say I nearly died. Individual Muslims may well suffer prejudice but there is no systemic bias against them."

Grist to the mill?

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Imagine this...

Journalist: "Jeannette, do you think there is institutional Islamopohobia apparent in Scotland?".

Jeanette: "You can say I laughed, wheezed and spluttered my tea.  You can say I nearly died. Individual Muslims may well suffer prejudice but there is no systemic bias against them."

Grist to the mill?

You're reaching.  She didn't say that.

Whether we like it or not, there is a body of evidence that shows there has been institutional bias against Irish and catholics in the past.  What Findlay has offered is an opinion that it is still apparent in Scotland today.   We can all think she's making much more of this than is necessary, but is it really such a controversial statement?  

There's clearly some debate that can be had here, but on whether Findlay's employer should be binning her for that particular quote?  Realistically - all that will do is cost you a lot of money in court and a hefty dose of reputational damage.  

17 minutes ago, stewarty said:

You're reaching.  She didn't say that.

Whether we like it or not, there is a body of evidence that shows there has been institutional bias against Irish and catholics in the past.  What Findlay has offered is an opinion that it is still apparent in Scotland today.   We can all think she's making much more of this than is necessary, but is it really such a controversial statement?  

There's clearly some debate that can be had here, but on whether Findlay's employer should be binning her for that particular quote?  Realistically - all that will do is cost you a lot of money in court and a hefty dose of reputational damage.  

Ingrained hatred from parts of both sides on this can produce almost automatic responses to recognised individuals like Findlay or groups, like the Orange Order.

You will rarely get meaningful debate but the status quo is a good bet.

6 minutes ago, buster. said:

Ingrained hatred from parts of both sides on this can produce almost automatic responses to recognised individuals like Findlay or groups, like the Orange Order.

You will rarely get meaningful debate but the status quo is a good bet.

Agreed.  because when you look at the substance of what Findlay is quoted as saying in that piece, they are actually quite moderate and things I think the likes of Gonzo might also agree with...

"

What does she think of the now traditional approach to tackling sectarianism? “It’s a cover-up. It’s a determined and sustained campaign by successive administrations to refuse to identify what is happening to our community.

“People have peddled this false equivalence for too long. Why are we called Call It Out? We are saying ‘call it what it is’. Equally, if you see an example of anti-protestant bigotry, call it out, call it was it is. Don’t lump it together.”

This new mood dislikes the old messaging, that anti-Catholic and anti-protestant prejudice are, as characterised by Findlay, "two cheeks of the one arse". Findlay is scathing about charities such as Nil by Mouth, which she believes have misdiagnosed what used to be called Scotland’s Shame. The charity, she said, has had a "poisonous impact on all of this debate".

On 17/12/2018 at 14:14, stewarty said:

At the risk of going into bat for Findlay, something I have no desire to do...I think you are reaching.

"Jeanette Findlay throws her head back in a long throaty guffaw. The academic has just been asked if there is institutional discrimination against protestants in Scotland. It takes her a while to catch her breath. “You can say I laughed, wheezed and spluttered my tea,” she says. “You can say I nearly died.” Eventually, still giggling, she gets to her answer: individual protestants, she reckons, may well suffer prejudice but there is no systemic bias against them."

Take issue with her comment if you like but I don't see anything other than a strong view about a thorny subject, as I said above.

The article starts off talking about a group claiming to represent Protestants doing a speech on the steps of the City Chambers calling out their perceived victimisation.

She is laughing directly at that. Whether you believe there is that victimisation or not, to laugh at a group for claiming victimisation is disgusting.

As someone who is supposed to be an academic, you should try and possibly look into why they say they’re victimised and possibly counter that, not laugh at the group for saying they are victims.

17 hours ago, stewarty said:

Whether we like or agree with her is irrelevant.  What she has said there can't be construed as in any way detrimental to her employer as far as I can see... So what are they going to do about it? I would imagine it would all be grist to the mill if they tried.

How can an employee of Glasgow University openly laughing at a group of people saying they are persecuted not be construed as detrimental to the image of the university?

If my child was planning on studying Economics, I would certainly be guiding them elsewhere, and not only because her qualifications fall short.

17 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Imagine this...

Grist to the mill?

You’re spot on there.

even some on here seem to think that religious bias and slurs seem to be less serious if aimed at Protestants.