[FT] Hibernian 0 - 0 Rangers

16 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I am basing my optimism on the law of averages.

Surely, we are due a performance?

Nowt wrong with optimism but I doubt we'll get any fine performances at this particular point of the season.

It'll be about attitude, determination, hunger, taking chances and seeing where that has taken us when the final whistle blows.

Players like Grezda have to stand up and make their presence felt tonight. Even if he doesn't have a great game and does some spade work to allow Barisic to attack, he needs to contribute.

McCrorie, Jack and Arfield know what it is all about, a good balance for this match IMO.

Candeias is reliable. 

Morelos is key and firstly needs to stay on the park.

The defence will be stretched at times and we'll get a better idea of how effective the Goldson/McAuley partnership is (if played).

Edited by buster.

Bearger’s map at #12 shows the narrow footbridge at the approaches to the ground. Walked over it many times to a match and never knew it was called Crawford Bridge. Typical toff Embra name for what would just be a bridge anywhere else.

There used to be an old guy with longish white hair in the 1950s who stood there on matchdays singing the songs of the day mostly Kenneth Mackellar stuff with a wee dash of Crosby. Trained voice but fallen on hard times.

I doubt anyone remembers. Compo mibbees.

EDIT. For the avoidance of doubt I meant the perhaps Compo remembers, not that Compo was the singer.

Edited by Scott7

Just now, Scott7 said:

Bearger’s map at #12 shows the narrow footbridge at the approaches to the ground. Walked over it many times to a match and never knew it was called Crawford Bridge. Typical toff Embra name for what would just be a bridge anywhere else.

There used to be an old guy with longish white hair in the 1950s who stood there on matchdays singing the songs of the day mostly Kenneth Mackellar stuff with a wee dash of Crosby. Trained voice but fallen on hard times.

I doubt anyone remembers. Compo mibbees.

I remember being crushed on that bridge never noticed the old singer probably to busy singing myself .

We are going to have to be alert tonight we all know the Hibs manager will be doing all in his kitbag to wind our management up and his players will have been told to do the same our players must keep their cool to win the school losing the rag will be to Hibs advantage  .

15 hours ago, buster. said:

I reckon Hibs will come out of the traps fast but when the game settles (obviously dependent on score), won't persist in pressing high up the park. They'll sit deeper, thinking/hoping we'll struggle to break them down but they'll actively look to counter-attack with speed.

Saw 10 mins highlights of their game against the Scum and they were flying throughout. Obviously, I can't tell about the remaining 80 mins, but I do remember last season's last game against them, was it 5-5? We have better players now, but we need to be on the top of our game for encounters against them.

Let's also hope that Thomson follows this game up with a similar performance of his last with us, where you could actually see him handle a game like a normal referee would.

Unsure whether we should start with Morelos straight away. Lafferty dislikes that lot very much and can cause quite a bit of bother for them, if supported by Candeias, Grezda and Arfield again. Wouldn't mind us going a 4-4-2 later on.

17 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Saw 10 mins highlights of their game against the Scum and they were flying throughout. Obviously, I can't tell about the remaining 80 mins, but I do remember last season's last game against them, was it 5-5? We have better players now, but we need to be on the top of our game for encounters against them.

Let's also hope that Thomson follows this game up with a similar performance of his last with us, where you could actually see him handle a game like a normal referee would.

Unsure whether we should start with Morelos straight away. Lafferty dislikes that lot very much and can cause quite a bit of bother for them, if supported by Candeias, Grezda and Arfield again. Wouldn't mind us going a 4-4-2 later on.

Hibs have 4 games in 11 days (Rangers, Livingston, Rangers, Hearts)  and can't realistically play the same high intensity game in all of those.

You add that to our creative weakness when up against an organised defence and Hibs ability to counter-attack with speed and precision and I think they'll probably spend chunks of the game soaking up pressure and looking to counter.

I think the first 10-20 minutes will be about a Hibs attempt at a high press.

We have to try and make use of the space in behind them early doors.

--------------------

IMO Morelos has to start (Lafferty has lost confidence in front of goal and will probably start on the bench.

Edited by buster.

A cold winter's day is about to warm up later as Rangers travel to face a confident Hibs. Other than Morelos, I don't envisage any further changes to the team that started against Hamilton Acas though I do wonder if Gerrard might dispense with Grezda in favour of the kind of system we seen in Vienna last midweek.

I do note @Stevie - 4lads Blog is suggesting Worrall may replace McAuley which is a big call from the manager.

DuyN1UAW4AA2eGG.jpg