No title this season

“Obvious as the nose on your face, this group of players will never win us the league. “

What I said in original post, some seem to be going off at a tangent. It’s also obvious if we sign better players we have a better chance of winning league.

3 hours ago, RabiDuck said:

Hence the fact that despite all the doom and gloom we're only 6 points (theoretical on them winning their game in hand...) behind them.  As it stands, at least until Saturday, it's still in our hands to win the league.  Given some of the negativity (and yes, there are things that need to be addressed) we're not in such a bad position in the league, and a couple more transfer windows and time for SG to learn the trade (still his first year as a manager!) and we should be lining up a serious title shot next season, this season is about consolidating, pushing them as close as possible, and lining up another profitable European run next season.

Its not negativity its fair comment based on our results statistics and analysis of the season so far.

Aug -  8/12

Sept - 6/12

Oct -  7/9

Nov - 9/9

Dec - so far  12/21 with one to play

We've dropped points home and away consistently each month except for November and we also lost 1-0 to Aberdeen in consecutive matches firstly in the League Cup and then at home in the league. Of the teams I'd expect to be in and around the top five our record is as it stands - loss away to Celtic, draw away to Aberdeen, loss away to Aberdeen (LC), loss home to Aberdeen, draw away to Hibs and draw at home to Hibs. Factor in the other away and home draws you start to see a pattern.

Its not negativity to discuss the teams inability to win against the top 4/5 teams in the league its a fact.

Aside from the hubz player losses we have a far superior budget to them. I expected to beat them comfortably at Ibrox especially so after totally outplaying them on their own patch.

But I’m still not giving up on the league. We can beat anybody in it when we play as we can but its just not consistent enough at this stage. Hopefully the window can help with that.

Edited by JFK-1

43 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Aside from the hubz player losses we have a far superior budget to them. I expected to beat them comfortably at Ibrox

I expect Gerrard to set us up to attack a team like Hibs rather than fearing we need to match their numbers in centre mid. He needs to be far more bold and far less cautious. 

16 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

Its not negativity its fair comment based on our results statistics and analysis of the season so far.

Aug -  8/12

Sept - 6/12

Oct -  7/9

Nov - 9/9

Dec - so far  12/21 with one to play

We've dropped points home and away consistently each month except for November and we also lost 1-0 to Aberdeen in consecutive matches firstly in the League Cup and then at home in the league. Of the teams I'd expect to be in and around the top five our record is as it stands - loss away to Celtic, draw away to Aberdeen, loss away to Aberdeen (LC), loss home to Aberdeen, draw away to Hibs and draw at home to Hibs. Factor in the other away and home draws you start to see a pattern.

Its not negativity to discuss the teams inability to win against the top 4/5 teams in the league its a fact.

I agree with everything that you say, but the simple fact is that we're still in contention.  We need to do better and results haven't been good enough, but fortunately we've kept touch with Celtic.  Avoiding defeat on Saturday would be a massive boost and hopefully spur us on.  We're unlikely to win the league this year, I don't believe it was ever the serious intent, but we might just have a chance to do so...

12 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

I agree with everything that you say, but the simple fact is that we're still in contention.  We need to do better and results haven't been good enough, but fortunately we've kept touch with Celtic.  Avoiding defeat on Saturday would be a massive boost and hopefully spur us on.  We're unlikely to win the league this year, I don't believe it was ever the serious intent, but we might just have a chance to do so...

This season, I think it's a case of needing Celtic to lose the league (relative implosion) rather than us being able to reach the level of consistency required to win it if they don't implode.

14 minutes ago, buster. said:

This season, I think it's a case of needing Celtic to lose the league (relative implosion) rather than us being able to reach the level of consistency required to win it if they don't implode.

Not going to argue with that.  However, if we can pull together a string of results (starting on Saturday) we can perhaps put the pressure on and drive some of that implosion.  This Celtic side isn't as strong as they like to think.  The very fact that we're discussing a number of very poor performances from us and we're still only 6 points behind supports that view, I don't think it'd take much to tip them over the edge.  That being said, I wouldn't be betting against them winning the league again this year!

26 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

Not going to argue with that.  However, if we can pull together a string of results (starting on Saturday) we can perhaps put the pressure on and drive some of that implosion.  This Celtic side isn't as strong as they like to think.  The very fact that we're discussing a number of very poor performances from us and we're still only 6 points behind supports that view, I don't think it'd take much to tip them over the edge.  That being said, I wouldn't be betting against them winning the league again this year!

They are still a lot stronger than we are and wrt the title, it'll nearly always come down to squad depth (and quality).

It's not rocket science, we need quality (and more depth) but that tends to cost a lot of money and/or requires time to develop.

Edited by buster.

48 minutes ago, buster. said:

They are still a lot stronger than we are and wrt the title, it'll nearly always come down to squad depth (and quality).

It's not rocket science, we need quality (and more depth) but that tends to cost a lot of money and/or requires time to develop.

Agreed, but it's Christmas, let's allow ourselves a day or two of unrealistic optimism before they spanner us at Ibrox and it's back to reality for the new year!!