Old Firm media embarrassment and VAR control

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Sometimes it's not even what they say but instead they use a photograph above a story to speak the thousand words (eg. see current story on Morelos/covered in another thread).

100% correct buster. Thier management of the perception and visualisation of Rangers Supporters, players, situations and fans is high on the overt and covert derogatory narrative.

Been watching this weeks english cup games and must say VAR  is a bit hit and miss as well what hppened to a good referee and two linesmen now everything is looked at from all angles by television by the press , by the fans and we are still not any further for it .

I am all for VAR but I think the VAR officials should make the final decision and not the referee. Having a referee trudge over to watch something the VAR officials have looked at from every angle possible is a waste of time. It is having teething problems and some decisions will still remain debated as it is an opinion and they differ from person to person. That is why I think a 3 man VAR team will at least give a majority decision.

8 minutes ago, pete said:

I am all for VAR but I think the VAR officials should make the final decision and not the referee. Having a referee trudge over to watch something the VAR officials have looked at from every angle possible is a waste of time. It is having teething problems and some decisions will still remain debated as it is an opinion and they differ from person to person. That is why I think a 3 man VAR team will at least give a majority decision.

Couldn't agree more.  The system that Rugby or Cricket uses is perfectly fine.  The reviewer(s) look at the data and make a decision that they communicate to the ref on the pitch who then takes the appropriate action.  Seems sensible to me!

8 minutes ago, pete said:

The referee should have the final decision. I wouldn't sit right having guys sitting in a cosy studio making decisions that could overrule the referee. Just bring arguable decisions to the ref's attention so that he can change his mind if he feels he has made a wrong decision.

4 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

Couldn't agree more.  The system that Rugby or Cricket uses is perfectly fine.  The reviewer(s) look at the data and make a decision that they communicate to the ref on the pitch who then takes the appropriate action.  Seems sensible to me!

Rugby and cricket are different in that the ref or umpire calls up the review when he cannot make up his mind on what decision to take.

1 hour ago, les186 said:

Rugby and cricket are different in that the ref or umpire calls up the review when he cannot make up his mind on what decision to take.

Not so in cricket. The umpire makes his decision strictly in response to the appeal of the players. That decision can then be reviewed but again only at the appeal of the captains.