Old Firm media embarrassment and VAR control

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Not so in cricket. The umpire makes his decision strictly in response to the appeal of the players. That decision can then be reviewed but again only at the appeal of the captains.

Depends, for run-outs, stumpings, no-balls, if ball has reached boundary, 4 or 6 and probably more,.... the umpire can request assistance.

The thing about tennis and cricket is that the teams have a maximum number of appeals that come within their respective set criteria. 

I reckon that VAR/football could trial a maximum of one appeal per team, per 45 or 90 minutes. 

This would be in addition to the way VAR is used just now and would partially eliminate one of the systems weaknesses, ie. when VAR assistant doesn't pick up on something, eg. Real Madrid penalty claim last Sunday.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

Depends, for run-outs, stumpings, no-balls, if ball has reached boundary, 4 or 6 and probably more,.... the umpire can request assistance.

The thing about tennis and cricket is that the teams have a maximum number of appeals that come within their respective set criteria. 

I reckon that VAR/football could trial a maximum of one appeal per team, per 45 or 90 minutes. 

This would be in addition to the way VAR is used just now and would partially eliminate one of the systems weaknesses, ie. when VAR assistant doesn't pick up on something, eg. Real Madrid penalty claim last Sunday.

Good idea, but does the ref get overruled?

Just now, les186 said:

If he's clearly wrong then he should get overruled IMO.

I don't think the disciplinary side of things (cards) should be included in what can be appealed by teams.

5 minutes ago, les186 said:

in Cricket they have a video umpire independently reviews the passage of play that is in question, and relays back to the on field umpire whether their original decision is correct, or should be overturned.  That works in relation to decisions taken by the umpire only where one of the teams appeals a decision.  For all other judgement calls, its down to the video umpire judges based on the tools available.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

If he's clearly wrong then he should get overruled IMO.

I don't think the disciplinary side of things (cards) should be included in what can be appealed by teams.

I think the key element is also that in cricket, the decision is only overturned on appeal in the event that the video umpire can see sufficient evidence that the on-field umpire made the wrong call.

perversely, this has in turn helped to improve the quality of umpiring over the years as the umpires are able to quickly review contentious decisions and learn from their mistakes.   Cricket does however have additional technology to help refine those areas further - e.g. the decision review system that uses hawkeye, heat maps, sensitive microphones, etc to detect contact between bat and ball

Edited by stewarty

I’m not hugely convinced VAR would stop the lunacy from Parkhead and it’s associated media trash. VAR would simply be another source of bias against Celtic and would have to be controlled if possible, attacked if not. Who would decide who sits on the VAR panel? Could they be trusted to be impartial? Before you know it VAR would be just one more Masonic conspiracy. 

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

I’m not hugely convinced VAR would stop the lunacy from Parkhead and it’s associated media trash. VAR would simply be another source of bias against Celtic and would have to be controlled if possible, attacked if not. Who would decide who sits on the VAR panel? Could they be trusted to be impartial? Before you know it VAR would be just one more Masonic conspiracy. 

The ref has already said he seen all 3 Morelos incidents & is quite happy, the compliance officer has agreed with the ref, yet we still have the moon howlers/bigots screaming conspiracy! I don't see how VAR will change that!

Just now, ian1964 said:

The ref has already said he seen all 3 Morelos incidents & is quite happy, the compliance officer has agreed with the ref, yet we still have the moon howlers/bigots screaming conspiracy! I don't see how VAR will change that!

Nope. All it would do is create yet another layer for Celtic to manipulate.