Brexit - the big vote

What do you want from your MP as parliament votes on May's Brexit Deal? Do you trust your MP to do what his/her constituents voted for?

Do you think your MP has bothered their arse to find out and understand what the various options mean for you or your country?

Do you feel you've anything in common with a political elite that, on all sides, has conducted possibly the most incessantly dishonest debate in our history?

Or don't you give a damn whatever happens because that would mean looking up from your iPhone for too long?

Edited by Bill

My constituency voted Remain and my MP is a Liberal Democrat, so we all know how that'll go.  

Today will spell the death knell for the last remnants of democracy in the UK.  Of that I have no doubt.  Hopefully British citizens will act accordingly but sadly, I do doubt that.  

Some of those MP's about to vote against May's Deal will do so because they want to revoke Brexit. Others will vote against it because it doesn't deliver enough Brexit. Still others will vote for or against it primarily the basis of personal career development or tribal ideology. Neither Labour nor the SNP actually has a Brexit strategy. Labour will vote simply in the hope of forcing a general election. The SNP will vote on no other basis than hoping to extort a second independence referendum out of a Labour government. A few might even vote one way or the other on the basis of detailed knowledge and principle. 

Some believe this half-arsed "deal" was deliberately concocted by Brussels and a compliant Prime Minister to ensure it was unacceptable to both sides and is actually a strategic masterpiece. Others think it's a product of weakness and simple incompetence.

Whatever you believe, one thing is pretty clear by now. Parliament is a deceitful shambles. It took a clear referendum result and has turned it into a three-ring circus. In two and a half years since the referendum, parliament has studiously done two things - it has sought to undermine the validity of the votes we cast and it has broadly ignored those who cast those votes. If Brexit is defeated I think there is only one vote to cast in the next general election ... to defeat every sitting MP, regardless of party.

1 minute ago, compo said:

The country voted that should have been enough ....

I'm not nor have been a member of a political party, thank God. In my lifetime, politicians have gone from a largely principled group to what can and must now be described as the enemies of the people. While carving out an ever more isolated and sheltered existence for themselves, MP's have systematically stripped the British people of their personal freedoms, their independence of opinion, their access to impartial news, and their sense of common identity. Politicians grow fatter and less accountable. The only remaining purpose of elections is as a pretext to have us lend validity to an elite class that clearly despises and treats us with contempt.

I just can’t believe the Tories never took some representative from the DUP along when they negotiated this ‘deal.’ Do they think the DUP can be bought off, like the Lib Dem’s when they were in coalition?

I can sympathise with May as she has a literally impossible job. You can’t strike a deal that satisfies parliament, the referendum, the good Friday agreement, the Tory party and also the EU. Personally I think the Tory party nutters are the problem, but it is looking more like the whole thing will just get cancelled, like when Ireland rejected some Euro treaty - twice - but somehow it still ended up getting implemented. Interesting times ahead though..

I have no sympathy for Theresa May. She asked to be made PM in full knowledge of the task ahead. She's had two and a half years to make clear what this country wanted and would accept. Instead of asserting the UK position she has spent the entire process trying to accommodate the first position taken by Brussels. She's a manager at the very time we desperately needed a leader. 

BTW which Tory Party "nutters" are to blame ... those who agree with May or those who don't? If the latter, is it those who don't agree because she's presenting to much or too little Brexit in her "deal"?

Edited by Bill