Stairway 13

Thanks for this Pete.  I had never appreciated that there was an earlier disaster in 1902.  This is an excellent documentary, but very upsetting too.  One thing that sticks in my mind from watching it is the point they make about adversity.  These disasters, and the recent issues faced by our club and its supporters just make us stronger, or at least it should.

The faces of those remembering what happened are quite haunting.

Edited by Gaffer

The guy saying his father telling him to keep his hands up brought back memories as my father used to tell me to keep my arms crossed in front of my chest. The shouts trying to stop people pushing from behind are another thing stick in my mind. The surprising thing is that it took so long for an accident to happen as it was literally an accident waiting to happen.  I have said before that was my first OF game but thankfully I was only allowed to go as I could use my uncles season ticket for the main stand. Thankfully as I used the Haugh ferry that was the stairs that I would have been on.

3 hours ago, pete said:

The guy saying his father telling him to keep his hands up brought back memories as my father used to tell me to keep my arms crossed in front of my chest. The shouts trying to stop people pushing from behind are another thing stick in my mind. The surprising thing is that it took so long for an accident to happen as it was literally an accident waiting to happen.  I have said before that was my first OF game but thankfully I was only allowed to go as I could use my uncles season ticket for the main stand. Thankfully as I used the Haugh ferry that was the stairs that I would have been on.

Aye, I mind always being told to keep my hand up on the shoulders of the guy in front. Never by my side. When you think back to the old terracing at the piggery and hampden it’s a miracle nothing bad ever happened there? There was a few times I remember crushing though. Thankfully the safe standing now being introduced is a world away from those days of the old terracings.

Thankfully those of us born after the 70s rarely got to experience these crushes at Ibrox, which is actually due to stadium reconstruction following the disaster. Have experienced being lifted off my feet a couple of times due to the crowd surge though, at England v Scotland at old Wembley, and once at Ibrox. Ironically it was a reserve game, against Celtic. Think it was during the winter break as there were 22,000 there. This was when we had 11 internationals in our reserve team, the likes of Kuznetsov and Duncan Ferguson. Anyway some bright spark decided to open the gates and let everybody in for nothing just after kick off, with thousands queuing outside the Copland stand. Don’t know if that made it better or worse, but it was frightening..