Corbyn - Labour's gift to the nation

There's a tendency, these days, to instantly accuse any other views as akin to Nazism.  I am not a fan of this tendency but to suggest everyone who makes analogies referencing Hitler and co as an anti-Semite is stretching things a bit.

21 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

She was sacked after comparing Corbyn and his inner circle as akin to the Bunker in the last days of the Third Reich, in which she also referenced the film, which was a pertinent analogy if you look at how they are not listening to others in the party which has led to  the potential coup by Tom Watson etc.  Her comments were insensitive and against comrade Corbyn which was enough for her to be suspended and nothing like the views of Chris Williamson, Ken Livingston, Naz Shah and others within Momentum. It is no co-incidence that Labour have lost 100k members over the last year. 

Re Ken Livingstone - he was on his way to a radio interview when a character called John Mann assembled a tv crew and followed him around, clearly trying to get Livingstone to thump him. Fortunately he didn't take the bait. There is a clear pattern here - the right of the party are acting like the Tory 'B' team: if the first eleven can't get elected they pose as a safe pair of hands. Think Labour have lost members because the Left have been too conciliatory.

21 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's a tendency, these days, to instantly accuse any other views as akin to Nazism.  I am not a fan of this tendency but to suggest everyone who makes analogies referencing Hitler and co as an anti-Semite is stretching things a bit.

Hitler was clearly a thoroughly bad egg but there's no doubt he has also been a hugely convenient excuse for absolving every German that pulled a trigger or turned on the gas.

"It wasn't the ordinary Germans, it was just that bloke Hitler and his Nazis". No, it wasn't just Hitler and the average German was fully complicit in the devastation wrought by that country. I wonder if the day will ever come when Europe will confess its sins with some honesty and the world will stop using "Nazis" as a cultural catch-all.

52 minutes ago, Bill said:

Hitler was clearly a thoroughly bad egg but there's no doubt he has also been a hugely convenient excuse for absolving every German that pulled a trigger or turned on the gas.

"It wasn't the ordinary Germans, it was just that bloke Hitler and his Nazis". No, it wasn't just Hitler and the average German was fully complicit in the devastation wrought by that country. I wonder if the day will ever come when Europe will confess its sins with some honesty and the world will stop using "Nazis" as a cultural catch-all.

But the average German was not fully complicit; Merkel today lauded a person who tried to assassinate Hitler. Now, Merkel, is not my ideal of a politician, but if the choice was between her and say, May or Johnson, I would take her every single time.

I you have ever seen the film "The Remains of the Day" then you will know how complicit was the British ruling class in the ascension of Hitler.

13 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Merkel, is not my ideal of a politician, but if the choice was between her and say, May or Johnson

All three are prone to a wobble, although in Merkel's case that's in a more literal sense.

40 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

But the average German was not fully complicit; Merkel today lauded a person who tried to assassinate Hitler. 

No more than around 33% or so of the electorate actually voted for Hitler in the last election before he established a dictatorship. The Wehrmacht was distinctly unimpressed by him from day one which is a major reason he introduced an oath of allegiance to himself rather than the nation.

He was playing on the Prussian military sense of honour to try to keep them in line and for the very reason he didn’t trust them he created the SS. A personal army populated by nazis loyal to him. And still the Wehrmacht was conspiring to whack him all throughout the war.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

But the average German was not fully complicit; Merkel today lauded a person who tried to assassinate Hitler. Now, Merkel, is not my ideal of a politician, but if the choice was between her and say, May or Johnson, I would take her every single time.

I you have ever seen the film "The Remains of the Day" then you will know how complicit was the British ruling class in the ascension of Hitler.

That’s OK then. I can imagine them thinking as they lit the gas ovens “thankfully I’m not fully complicit in all this, they’ll blame Hitler anyway”

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

That is a work of fiction.  Although certain people in Britain sympathised with the Nazis, I'm not sure any were actually 'complicit' in Hitler's rise to power.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Here we go, full Kremlin bulldust.

If you’ve ever seen the film Terminator then you’ll know how complicit Hollywood was in inventing time travel.