Default 20mph speed limit

1 hour ago, Bill said:

OK, I'll ask the obvious question ... how many of those 5000 kids were killed by cars travelling between 20 and 30 mph? 

And you do realise that almost every community already has 20mph zones within residential areas? Or did the point of the original post just go over your head ... again?

Read my post slowly and let it sink in. Put your hate for the SNP aside for1 minute. Kids rarely walk on the motorway they are mostly in residential areas.

37 minutes ago, pete said:

Read my post slowly and let it sink in. Put your hate for the SNP aside for1 minute. Kids rarely walk on the motorway they are mostly in residential areas.

Take your own advice for a moment. No one has mentioned motorways. The question was how many of the 5000 kids you quoted have been killed by cars travelling between 20 and 30 mph - which is the interval of interest in the govt proposal and might bring your rant back to something relevant to the topic. 

Since you you seem incapable of understanding the topic, let me spell it out for you. The issue is about a DEFAULT speed limit in speed-restricted locations, not whether one limit or another is appropriate in a particular place. At no point have I queried the use of 20mph limits where these exist today. If you can’t grasp the subtlety of this, at least try to make your inability less obvious. 

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

Take your own advice for a moment. No one has mentioned motorways. The question was how many of the 5000 kids you quoted have been killed by cars travelling between 20 and 30 mph - which is the interval of interest in the govt proposal and might bring your rant back to something relevant to the topic. 

Since you you seem incapable of understanding the topic, let me spell it out for you. The issue is about a DEFAULT speed limit in speed-restricted locations, not whether one limit or another is appropriate in a particular place. At no point have I queried the use of 20mph limits where these exist today. If you can’t grasp the subtlety of this, at least try to make your inability less obvious. 

Back to just throwing insults at people that is your strong point. If you read my post then then you would have got my point that people drive too fast no matter what the speed limit is and 30mph is certainly fast enough to kill kids. Most kids will be killed in 30mph zones as that is the area's they are in so as I said you should not be angry at any political party trying to get drivers to behave properly.

4 hours ago, pete said:

There you have the usual suspects turning this into a SNP hate campaign. No mention of 5000 kids killed in road accidents every year. No matter what party you support people should be for this in residential areas. It is pretty well known if 30 is the limit then a lot of people drive 35-40 and some even faster. If 20 is the limit people will drive 30. I have seen people driving through play areas at stupid speeds. The discussion point here should be the behaviour of drivers and not "ddduuu we hate the SNP"

https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/facts_about_road_accidents_and_children.pdf

Agreed Pete, it gets as boring as Brexit !

6 hours ago, pete said:

No mention of 5000 kids killed in road accidents every year.

In Scotland in 2017, the total number of road accident related serious injuries was approximately 2,000.  That's adults and kids.  About 1/4 of those were fatalities.

Obviously far too many.

6 hours ago, pete said:

There you have the usual suspects turning this into a SNP hate campaign. No mention of 5000 kids killed in road accidents every year. No matter what party you support people should be for this in residential areas. It is pretty well known if 30 is the limit then a lot of people drive 35-40 and some even faster. If 20 is the limit people will drive 30. I have seen people driving through play areas at stupid speeds. The discussion point here should be the behaviour of drivers and not "ddduuu we hate the SNP"

https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/facts_about_road_accidents_and_children.pdf

Go read the pdf Pete.

It will tell you that 5000 is the total number of deaths and 'serious injuries'.

Looks like the document could be about 15 years old too.

Edited by ranger_syntax

3 hours ago, pete said:

Back to just throwing insults at people that is your strong point. If you read my post then then you would have got my point that people drive too fast no matter what the speed limit is and 30mph is certainly fast enough to kill kids. Most kids will be killed in 30mph zones as that is the area's they are in so as I said you should not be angry at any political party trying to get drivers to behave properly.

Dry your eyes for goodness sake, there have been no “insults” so don’t act all precious and sanctimonious. I understood perfectly the point you were making, did you think it was complex? The point I clearly made in return was that your comment was irrelevant to the original post, or at least was offering a simplistic response on a separate matter.... and was ridiculously inaccurate. 

Edited by Bill