[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Defoe 12)

20 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

RE: "The midfield three (outwith Kent, who had a roaming role) were not properly positioned to find each other; I felt they were all isolated. "

I was so annoyed I switched it over to the Man City game, and although it was a slightly weakened side, you can see every time a midfielder has the ball, there are always options on the ball. Their structure is perfect: they're always 10 yards away from each other, staggered proportionally across the pitch.

It means they have lots of options and easy passes to move opponents around, to work the space. 

When I look at us, too often there is just no options on the ball. The attacking midfielders go forward too early, meaning Jack has sideways passes to make, and the defenders start dithering. 

We have to build the ball up through the phases. 

I don't want to sound uber-staunch but I have no idea how you can turn Rangers off and watch another team, Maybe if we were 3 or 4 behind but we were always still in the game yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I was so annoyed I switched it over to the Man City game, and although it was a slightly weakened side, you can see every time a midfielder has the ball, there are always options on the ball. Their structure is perfect: they're always 10 yards away from each other, staggered proportionally across the pitch.

It means they have lots of options and easy passes to move opponents around, to work the space. 

When I look at us, too often there is just no options on the ball. The attacking midfielders go forward too early, meaning Jack has sideways passes to make, and the defenders start dithering. 

I agree with the above and think that the relationship between the players is something that needs a lot work on the training ground.  There were one or two spells in the match where we appeared cohesive and offered a lot of threat but unfortunately, these occasions were too limited.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Looking forward........

We now have a not disimilar type of game on Sunday at Livingston.

What does SG do ?

Livingston are not Kilmarnock and will be missing their best striker.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Looking forward........

We now have a not disimilar type of game on Sunday at Livingston.

What does SG do ?

It will be the same formation for sure as there's no point in using it in one game then abandoning it.  Goldson and/or Katic may come back into the side for either centre half and Barisic may decide he's available this week too which would be useful.

In terms of of the opposition, they'll offer a similar to problem as Killie by looking to pack the midfield and work hard when out of possession to limit us space.  Will we have the belief and quality to bypass that?  I'm not so sure...

Just now, pete said:

Livingston are not Kilmarnock and will be missing their best striker.

Kilmarnock are a better team but Livingston are well organised and will much represent the type of challenge which we too often struggle to overcome.

45 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

RE: "The midfield three (outwith Kent, who had a roaming role) were not properly positioned to find each other; I felt they were all isolated. "

The strange thing was when we were in the ascendency early in the game I thought we had great spells of intricate triangle passing which was creating openings and causing Kilmarnock major problems. It looked like we didn't need the wings because we were getting through them in the middle. However all it took was possession being cheaply given away a few times (by Kent I'm afraid) to take the wind out of our sails and give them some confidence and suddenly we couldn't get the ball out of the defence. At that point we played a few long balls which actually almost got us back in control of the game in their half because Killie's defence had Rangers players all around them. For some reason we reverted to passing at the back which eventually led to Worrall's mistake. 

Edited by DMAA

7 minutes ago, Frankie said:

It will be the same formation for sure as there's no point in using it in one game then abandoning it.  Goldson and/or Katic may come back into the side for either centre half and Barisic may decide he's available this week too which would be useful.

In terms of of the opposition, they'll offer a similar to problem as Killie by looking to pack the midfield and work hard when out of possession to limit us space.  Will we have the belief and quality to bypass that?  I'm not so sure...

I think same formation/players will give us a similar type of frustrating 90 minutes that will decided on who takes the chances/mistakes.

I think you have to change it.

If Barisic and Goldson are ready I'd be tempted to go 3-5-2.

I'd start McCrorie.

Edited by buster.

22 minutes ago, pete said:

I don't want to sound uber-staunch but I have no idea how you can turn Rangers off and watch another team, Maybe if we were 3 or 4 behind but we were always still in the game yesterday.

It was only for a few minutes, then I was compelled to switch back. 

It was unstaunch. I apologise profusely.