[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Defoe 12)

8 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Goldson and/or Katic may come back into the side for either centre half and Barisic may decide he's available this week too which would be useful.

I criticised Goldson's defensive ability after a couple of games where he made big errors but there's no question he is easily our best CB on the ball. After last night's showing I think most are hoping we can see a Goldson-Katic partnership asap.

Edited by DMAA

52 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

RE: "The midfield three (outwith Kent, who had a roaming role) were not properly positioned to find each other; I felt they were all isolated. "

I was so annoyed I switched it over to the Man City game, and although it was a slightly weakened side, you can see every time a midfielder has the ball, there are always options on the ball. Their structure is perfect: they're always 10 yards away from each other, staggered proportionally across the pitch.

It means they have lots of options and easy passes to move opponents around, to work the space. 

When I look at us, too often there is just no options on the ball. The attacking midfielders go forward too early, meaning Jack has sideways passes to make, and the defenders start dithering. 

We have to build the ball up through the phases. 

Agree. I thought we started to probe better in groups in the 2nd half then Davis was subbed and we lost any momentum. 

23 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I criticised Goldson's defensive ability after a couple of games where he made big errors but there's no question he is easily our best CB on the ball. After last night's showing I think most are hoping we can see a Goldson-Katic partnership asap.

Goldson is by far our best centre half.  Not necessarily on the ball but just in terms of pure defending.

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

It's not the first time this season we have struggled/failed to break teams down, and before Davis & Defoe arrived.

I don't think Davis and Defoe are the answer for that problem.

#creative midfielder_10

Just now, buster. said:

I don't think Davis and Defoe are the answer for that problem.

#creative midfielder_10

I don't think the players were at their best, obvious statement I know, but I just thought we looked lazy at times, not enough movement/showing for the ball, but as I said we have seen this so many times this season, we need to stop dropping silly points if we are to make a serious challenge, which at this point doesn't seem likely.

Just now, ian1964 said:

I don't think the players were at their best, obvious statement I know, but I just thought we looked lazy at times, not enough movement/showing for the ball, but as I said we have seen this so many times this season, we need to stop dropping silly points if we are to make a serious challenge, which at this point doesn't seem likely.

In this type of situation (bus parked in front of us) we are obviously too often blunt and players seem to go through motions (best example was at Dundee in December). We need a player that provides more of a creative spark between the middle and front, someone that gives the midfield/defence, a focal point of sorts.

This is a problem that SG solves or it will be his undoing.

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Goldson is by far our best centre half.  Not necessarily on the ball but just in terms of pure defending.

I'm not actually saying he's isn't our best all round defender. He wasn't in a few games and that had me a bit worried at the time. He's defintely the best on the ball.