[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Defoe 12)

22 minutes ago, buster. said:

I don't think Davis and Defoe are the answer for that problem.

#creative midfielder_10

I think both of them improve us. Despite lots of chances last night Defoe was the only one who scored. Kent had the whole goal to aim from from 10 yards out and about 5 seconds to steady himself and still hit it straight at a Kilmarnock player. Defoe is a predator and I think he'll be great with Morelos. Davis's quality on the ball was instantly noticeable last night despite probably being unfit.

Agree 100% a creative midfielder would be brilliant but we don't seem to have any target. Not so much as a whisper about anyone apart from the Everton boy who has gone elsewhere. Kent was in the no 10 role last night and he causes problems with his pace and running and creates space for others in doing so but he doesn't have the really important abilities you want in that position at all; great first touch and techinque, passing, link up play, long shots and finishing. I'd be tempted to allow Arfield to play there because in contrast to Kent he is very good at most of those things, not least finishing.   

Edited by DMAA

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

In this type of situation (bus parked in front of us) we are obviously too often blunt and players seem to go through motions (best example was at Dundee in December). We need a player that provides more of a creative spark between the middle and front, someone that gives the midfield/defence, a focal point of sorts.

This is a problem that SG solves or it will be his undoing.

Agreed, however we need more players to open up teams with good runs showing for a pass, no matter how good a player is on the ball if he doesn't have any runners then the ball goes back to our CHs', all the players need to try and sort that out, lack of movement was the biggest problem for me last night.

6 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I think both of them improve us. Despite lots of chances last night Defoe was the only one who scored. Kent had the whole goal to aim from from 10 yards out and about 5 seconds to steady himself and still hit it straight at a Kilmarnock player. Defoe is a predator and I think he'll be great with Morelos. Davis's quality on the ball was instantly noticeable last night despite probably being unfit.

Agree 100% a creative midfielder would be brilliant but we don't seem to have any target. Not so much as a whisper about anyone apart from the Everton boy who has gone elsewhere. Kent was in the no 10 role last night and he causes problems with his pace and running and creates space for others in doing so but he doesn't have the really important abilities you want in that position at all; great first touch and techinque, passing, link up play, long shots and finishing. I'd be tempted to allow Arfield to play there because in contrast to Kent he is very good at most of those things, not least finishing.   

They without doubt improve our squad tenfold but I don't think they solve the specific problem we are talking about.

They can contribute towards a solution but whether it be now or in the summer, we need that creative midfielder option.

6 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Agreed, however we need more players to open up teams with good runs showing for a pass, no matter how good a player is on the ball if he doesn't have any runners then the ball goes back to our CHs', all the players need to try and sort that out, lack of movement was the biggest problem for me last night.

I agree with Frankie that it almost seems a mental block at times.

They don't make so many good sharp runs within what is very tight spaces because they don't really expect the pass to reach. Tempo drops, safe option often preferred,.....

13 hours ago, craig said:

The fixtures are the fixtures FFS.  Every team plays every other team 3 times before the break.  It is what it is.  Stop making excuses like the fixture list.  It was clear for all to see this evening that we FAILED.  It is that simple.  Killie wanted it more than we did and they had fewer individual, costly errors.

I noticed our failures, but 5 away games in the first 6 fixtures after the winter break does not help, not least when it is against Killie, Livingston and Co..

And for the record, I don't make excuses, I remark on things that ARE A FACTOR in what happens. That does not excuse our failings. If it helps you dwelling on our shortcomings to vent your frustration, so be it. But don't tell me to join in and forget the rest. It is in fact a very "German" approach to anything football to solely concentrate on oneself, so if you beat a team it is because you are top notch and the best, but if you loose, it has nothing to do with the opposition, pitch, whatever, but solely your own shortcomings. That is one sort of reality perception, but not mine.

I've told often enough e.g. told how much I dislike our centre-halfs playing triangles with our DMs or the goalie, inviting the opposition to press them ever deeper and make errors. SG said as much in der post-match interview - which makes it even more annoying. Killie did what they could, pounced upon two errors and we never really build any momentum after their first goal. Seen that often enough, starting in the days of MW. Teams sussed our approach out after about half a season and stopped us playing ... and we never seemed able to adapt.

SG brought in Defoe and (in many ways a travesty that we only start this now) we had two strikers on the park. Everything might have gone totally different, had we scored another goal and not gifted them the equalizer. But as the game wore on, it clearly showed that there was hardly any cohesion between defence and midfield, no options were provided, no-one really took responsibility. By then we should have reverted to 4-4-2 with two real wingers, or 3-5-2 with McCrorie into the DM role, someone who has the energy to hold his own against the Killie guys. But I repeat myself here and until we change that 4-3-3 which simply doesn't work against every team in Scotland, any debate is in vein.

Going by yesterday, I would vote for 3-5-2 at Livingston,

McGregor

Goldson - Katic -Halliday

McCrorie - Jack

Candeias - Davis - Kent

Defoe - Morelos

... with either of the DMs staying back or getting the license to join the attack. In fact, should we have the ball, Halliday might just as well join the midfield and let McCrorie and JAck move even further forward. It worked against the Scum.

EDIT: As for the fixture list ... it does have to do with building momentum. Our fixtures in the coming weeks - intentionally or not - are tailor made to keep us from getting any momentum whatsoever. It might be a coincident that we start at the most difficult venue aside from the Scumhut, against the 3rd best team in the country. Same with the Scum playing host to the worst side. But the amount of away fixtures as opposed to a simple Home-Away pattern is at least strange.

Edited by der Berliner

I've read a number of opinions on here, some suggesting it was the tactics, others suggesting it was player selection, etc.  However, for me it was simpler than that.  We did not approach the game last night properly.  Killie are known to be a team that works extremely hard, and battles for every ball, so why did we appear to be surprised at that?  The players did not appear to think that they needed to move as much, make the runs, be quick in moving the ball, or pass sharply.  This is an attitude issue, not a tactical or technical one.  This is the problem we've suffered from a few times this season and I don't know what the answer is.  Our players need to get into the right frame of mind before these games and to me they are clearly not.  This demonstrates to me that we lack the right mentality to win the league.  Each time we've gone top, we have relaxed (as if this was job done).  We need the players to change this attitude quickly.  We currently have a winning mentality that enables the team to win games, but it takes a different mentality to win championships, and clearly we don't have it.  We don't appear to have a focus on the goal of winning the league and I'm wondering if the team lacks that confidence in itself.  I'd have thought that McGregor and Davis could influence that, but it's maybe not enough.

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Going by yesterday, I would vote for 3-5-2 at Livingston,

McGregor

Goldson - Katic -Halliday

McCrorie - Jack

Candeias - Davis - Kent

Defoe - Morelos

... with either of the DMs staying back or getting the license to join the attack. In fact, should we have the ball, Halliday might just as well join the midfield and let McCrorie and JAck move even further forward. It worked against the Scum.

McGregor

Goldson - McAuley - Katic

Tav............McCrorie.............Barisic

Davis...........Arfield

Defoe.....Morelos