[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Defoe 12)

It’s looking like Warburton all over again. There is no Plan B. Plan A works OK in Europe and against expansive, attacking teams, but against the other 10 teams in the SPL who will just keep 11 men in their own half most of the time, we need to be scoring goals from midfield. So it has to be a 4-4-2. If fans don’t like it then tough. I can’t see Ibrox ever being empty if we’re winning though, whereas the current strategy of glamour managers, trying to play like Barcelona and having to spend £10-15million on a new squad every season can only last so long. We simply cannot keep chucking money away on managers with no managerial pedigree.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Agreed Gonzo.

Jack is a holding midfielder who can dictate the play.  Never an advanced midfielder - far better having Davis in the more advanced role than Jack.  In fact, Jack & Davis had some nice inter-changes in the 2nd half.  No way is Jack a more advanced midfielder like pete suggests, not IMO anyway.

jack is brilliant at the high press and McCrorie is the best ball winner we have. I think Jack is a far more skilful player than you are giving him credit for and our best matches have been with Jack and McCrorie together..

1 hour ago, 917 said:

It’s looking like Warburton all over again. There is no Plan B. Plan A works OK in Europe and against expansive, attacking teams, but against the other 10 teams in the SPL who will just keep 11 men in their own half most of the time, we need to be scoring goals from midfield. So it has to be a 4-4-2. If fans don’t like it then tough. I can’t see Ibrox ever being empty if we’re winning though, whereas the current strategy of glamour managers, trying to play like Barcelona and having to spend £10-15million on a new squad every season can only last so long. We simply cannot keep chucking money away on managers with no managerial pedigree.

Oh aye.

Pray tell doom-monger, what is our net spend this season?

I will say this first I never seen or heard the game or knew the result until I logged in five minutes ago so i wint criticise the players or performances,  it looks and sounds like our defenders may still have their holiday heads on a disappointing night all round my only fear is that the performance and result of our old firm match may have laid the foundations of another false dawn dont forge t ever6player in that game played above and beyond the call of duty and the other lot gave one of their poorest performances of bishop Brendan's reign yet the margin was only one goal one of our biggest faults is not finishing teams off after getting that first goal .

Anyway time for a lie down now  .

8 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

As much as I welcome Defoe and his goalscoring track record, there was always a fear at the back of my head about whether we need 2 up top and how that will effect our team overall. 

I don't think Defoe is good enough to change the formation for.  He got his tap in, fair enough, but he was dire for the rest of the game and should never have lasted 78 minutes.  I know he has only played a few games this season but I'm doubtful he'll be able to compete in the rough and tumble of the SPL.  Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Briton

Gerrard

'There was a temptation to keep the same team (that beat Celtic) but then if we lost having done that the accusation would have been that we were predictable given they had so much time to work on it,' said Gerrard.

'People will look at the formation and personnel and blame me, which they can, that's no problem.

'But if we don't give Kilmarnock two gifts tonight we win the game and people would be saying well done for changing the system.

'That's football.'

Worrell made one absolute howler at their first goal and one dodgy pass back, that apart he won every high ball and almost scored with a header in the later stages. Seens he going to be the whipping boy until he' s dropped then it will be someone else who get it.  Who was it that made the slack pass in midfield at their second goal Jack or Kent?. There were others out there who made more errors than Worrell that went unpunished.

We can talk about player a or b until we're blue in the face but the fact was it was a poor team performance.

As usual Killie were well organised, sat deep and pressed at the right times.  Meanwhile, we looked like a team trying out a new system after a four week break: we were sluggish, lazy at times, didn't take responsibility, our passing and shooting were woeful and our decision-making again bizarre.  Yes, two individual mistakes (Worral and Kent I think) cost us the goals against a team that never really looked dangerous but too many players had an off night and the same old failings were again evident.

The manager also has to take his fair share of the blame as Defoe and Davis both looked well short of fitness; more so Defoe whom, goal aside, did absolutely nothing.  The other side of the coin does say we need to play them to get them fit but using both from the start and for most of the match was an unnecessary gamble that didn't pay off.