TV Football Commentators

I spend a fair amount of time in Sweden and never fail to be impressed by the difference in style between their football commentary and our own. Whether Swedish TV is showing their own league football of games from all over Europe, the contrast with Scottish TV coverage couldn't be more stark.

The one thing above all others that the Swedes seem able to to that we don't is to shut their mouths when there is nothing useful to contribute. For some reason they don't seem compelled to maintain a constant barrage of drivel and seem strangely willing to allow the viewer to watch the game and interpret it for themselves. You can't imagine how enjoyable this is until you try it. Our coverage seems forced and childish by comparison. Listening to an endless repetition of names as the ball is passed from player to player across the back line might be entertainment to some but it's mind-numbingly stupid to me. The TV equivalent of reading the Sun.

The more I experience the difference, the more I'm inclined to turn the sound way down and somehow, the loss of Michael Stewart, Chris Sutton and the resident BBC windbags only improves the experience.

I always watch with rhe sound off. Sometimes you get audio options in which case I select crowd noise or, depending on the commentary team, R5. Never anything coming from PQ csc and their dandy running dogs.

Tbh it’s not just Scotland.Commentary south of the border is just as inane. It’s as if they can’t allow the viewer to form any opinion of their own. The have to tell us what to think from start to finish. Most of all, they talk incessantly when a little silence would add so much.

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

How is the quality of the Swedish game?

Good and bad but overall I’d say it’s better than here. Watching football in the summer sunshine instead of the cold and dark of winter does tend to sway opinion in their favour however.