[FT] Rangers 4 - 0 St Mirren (Tavernier 3' pen, 55' pen, Defoe 80' pen, Kent 81')

1 and 3 look clear cut to me. 2 wasn't a penalty, and 4 I'm not sure about, but on the basis that the action started outside the box but appeared to carry on inside the box, then by the rules of the game the ref got it right.

Stephen Conroy says only the first one was a penalty. I saw an article on him when he quit refereeing saying "He is regularly at the lower end of the red and yellow card table" so maybe that explains it. He didn't even think the 3rd was a hand ball regardless of where it happened. The boy's arms were up above his head and stopped the cross, it's not even debatable.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-four-penalty-awards-analysed-13945296

Edited by DMAA

Steve Clarke speaks out on Rangers’ penalties and Celtic bookings as he calls for consistency

Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke surveyed another weekend of officiating controversy in Scottish football and called for consistency.

The Killie boss had claimed referee Steven McLean had "no control of the game" on Friday night as his  side lost 2-1 at home to Hearts.

However, the four penalties Rangers awarded by Andrew Dallas in the 4-0 win over St Mirren - Ibrox boss Stevie Gerrard thought his side could have had a fifth - led to much more analysis and criticism.

The most disputable of the four spot-kicks was given when striker Jermain Defoe went down easily inside the box as Buddies defender Paul McGinn closed in.

Clarke also noted that referee Willie Collum booked winger James Forrest for going into the crowd to celebrate his goal against St Johnstone on Sunday with Celtic team-mate Timothy Weah escaping a caution for doing the same thing following his clinching goal in the 2-0 win.

Sitting in the Rugby Park media room ahead of the game against Dundee at Dens Park on Wednesday night, Clarke said: "You sit here on a Monday after a weekend where everybody talks about referees, consistency of refereeing.

"One player runs to the crowd yesterday to celebrate a goal and gets a yellow card. One player runs to the crowd to celebrate a goal and doesn't get a yellow card.

"Five penalty decisions in one game, one correct, four wrong. There was an offside decision in our game on Friday night. Insignificant.

"It wasn't in a dangerous position, it was offside, given by the east stand linesman. Three metres onside. The length of this desk and more.

"Has he been pulled up about it, has he been shown it? Has he been told he was wrong? Probably not. Probably doesn't know it's a mistake. It has to be sorted.

"It would be nice to see people in authority start to address the situation."

Asked if he was becoming increasingly exasperated, the former West Brom boss said: "Increasingly disappointed that nothing has been done to address it. Nothing.

"One of our players (Jordan Jones) was suspended for two games earlier in the season for going to ground too easily.

"There was a media furore. A witch hunt against the player. Nothing on the same scale from Saturday's game, Rangers versus St Mirren.

"Hopefully the compliance officer (Clare Whyte) will do her job. It doesn't affect us, I am nor particularly advocating (a sanction), but I just want consistency.

"So if our player gets a two-game ban, I look forward to seeing what happens this week."

Dundee lost a late goal in a 1-1 draw to fellow strugglers Hamilton on Saturday but Clarke was impressed by Jim McIntyre' much-changed team.

He said: "I thought they were good considering it was the first time they had really played together.

"They showed good signs so we go there and expect a tough game but if we can reach our standards then hopefully we can bounce back."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-speaks-out-rangers-13950290

Defoe doesn't even claim for the second one.  He is clearly playing for contact, but gets straight back up when it doesnt happen.  

It was a bad call, make no mistake.  But if Clarke is somehow suggesting that Defoe should get a ban... that would be ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

WTF is Clarke doing commenting on our game? Is this him getting in practice for next season's job? 9_9

Steve Clarke is increasingly encouraged to voice opinion on everything, currently he is the darling of PQ. Opinionating on Rangers is the path of least resistance and in 99% of cases, will garner waiting support. He has crossed a line on his comments on Saturday's penalties being awarded. He knows his comments will not be recovered if he is embarrassed by them in future. Remind me what Clarke said reference Alfredo's fourth goal at Rugby Park in the League Cup game earlier this season?

Clarke has taken Lennon's crown.