SNP’s workplace parking tax

So the SNP plans to “allow” councils to impose a tax on companies that provide 11 or more parking places for employees. 

I do hope companies affected by this will pass on the charges to their employees, since it is only right the public who vote for Holyrood governments should be able to enjoy the tax policies of the governments they elect. I’m sure teachers will be delighted by this latest example of progressive thinking from the SNP. 

Edited by Bill

I wonder what councils will look to introduce this crazy tax. Some employers may look to move area if it is introduced and there could be job losses, but having seen some crazy decisions by councils over the past few months, I wouldn't put it past some of them to look to bring it in.

It will soon be that it is November before Joe Punter starts earning money for himself and not the taxman.

What is it just now ?  Takes till August till the average punter has earned enough in salary to pay his/her annual taxes ?

I don't immediately object to this at first glance.  Its taking me around an hour to drive 15 miles to Charing Cross every morning due to congestion.  But i do have some concerns/questions...

As someone who's employer provides me with a parking space, I wonder whether the fee is levied on top of the car parking permit that they will need to pay when we move to a new office this month?

Whilst I can see there is a logic to what is being proposed based on the experience in Nottingham which has seen reductions in cars commuting every day, as with the Ibrox match day parking proposals, will we see local authorities working with public transport providers to make sure that there is sufficient capacity and affordability to support additional numbers ditching their car for the commute.  And will they gaurantee the money generated is ringfenced to support sustainable transport projects?

I also would object to there being exceptions to the levy.  Whilst I am in agreement that hospital workers and certain others should not have to pay exhorbitant fees to park at their work, I don't see why should they be exempt from this new levy.  

So the SNP are blaming other parties for the new tax that they've introduced? Pathetic but oh so typical that they won't even take responsibility for their own bills, while going back on their manifesto pledges. Can't be trusted.