[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 4 Rangers (Morelos 20, 38; Tavernier 43pen; Defoe 90+5)

I think the whole month is important. We have 5 games this month that are all winnable -- although this next game against Aberdeen will be tough. If we can get as close to 15 points as possible it'll give us a massive boost, and head start, going into a very difficult March, when we play Hibs (A), Kilmarnock (H) and Celtic (A).

Just now, Rousseau said:

I think the whole month is important. We have 5 games this month that are all winnable -- although this next game against Aberdeen will be tough. If we can get as close to 15 points as possible it'll give us a massive boost, and head start, going into a very difficult March, when we play Hibs (A), Kilmarnock (H) and Celtic (A).

Given points difference and stage of the season, all League games are now fairly cliff edge regards title challenge unless they start to drop some points.

If we can get past Kilmarnock and I think we will, the Cup is very much on.

As it stands you can get 4/1 for us winning the Cup.

--------------------

I think we need to put in our best performance of 2019 and some to come away from Aberdeen with the three points tonight.

We've shown we are capable of playing at a high level against better opposition, albeit that was at Ibrox. Tonight we need to take that level away from home.

IMO if Goldson is fit, we'd be best going with the same team that beat Celtic, except for Barisic for Halliday. However, if Halliday was given the nod then I could understand it.

I'd have a degree of confidence with that team that I wouldn't have with other options. 

There seems to be an unusual uniformity of general opinion about the starting line-up for tonight.

If SG agrees, I'd call that a positive development in our quest for a consistency of winning matches.

Our in other words, SG&CO would now know their best starting XI.

The team has to take charge of the game from the first whistle and then concentrate for 90+ minutes. Forget about stylish fancy stuff until they’re three goals up.

The players have the ability to do the first bit but can they all concentrate? That might be a reason to play Defoe. I think he’s got that ability.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

As such, will the diamond be deployed again tonight?

Personally, I can't see it - not to start with anyway.  In games against Aberdeen, winning the midfield battle is imperative and matching their physical outlook a must so it would be a big risk not to match that early in the game.

I agree the diamond won't be deployed, but ironically the diamond was Murty's masterstroke against Aberdeen last season when he did the double over them.

The formation debate is interesting.  For me, some experimentation is okay within certain limits.  For example, if we are working on things in training, I see no reason why we should not change shape during the game to give teams different problems.  Too often we have allowed teams to settle into a rhythm when defending against us, and we have been limited in terms of giving them different problems to contend with.

Whether tonight is the right game to play the diamond, I would question.  We played our best game of the season vs Celtic using the 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1, with the crucial difference being our motivation and determination to consistently press high. So that would be my preference again.  But should we struggle for a goal or if they settle into a defensive rhythm, by all means switch to some of our other tactical options depending on what Aberdeen themselves are doing.

The more the team get used to this flexibility, hopefully the easier it is to put into effect.

Edited by stewarty

10 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I agree the diamond won't be deployed, but ironically the diamond was Murty's masterstroke against Aberdeen last season when he did the double over them.

Would and wouldn't be a surprise if employed tonight.

Would beacuse I doubt it'll be what we go with.

Wouldn't be for McInnes (I think it was under Murty) in as much as he'll have seen it recently employed.

McCrorie, Jack and Tav are the only three of those starting line-ups who are in real contention for tonight.

Edited by buster.

It will be fascinating to see how we set up because it's the first real test of whether he sees Defoe as part of his starting 11. As I've said in previous matches I think we show diddies like Aberdeen too much respect and I'd be happy to see a 4-4-2 with a midfield two of Jack and Arfield. I fear the 4-5-1 will make for a pretty boring spectacle with two teams bog down in an over-crowded centre mid. I'm not convinced we have the creativity necessary to make it work. It worked to an extent at Hibs because they came out and weren't nearly good enough to do so. But you can't count on Aberdeen doing that. Having said that, Celtic put 4 past them at Pittodrie, but that was with a 4-2-3-1 that had far more attacking/creative players in it than ours has.