[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 4 Rangers (Morelos 20, 38; Tavernier 43pen; Defoe 90+5)

9 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I know I am repeating points made on another thread.

On BBC Radio Scotland, Pat Bonner's half-time report mentioned Brown's challenge as a possible red card. It was not raised at full time. Sportscene did not include a knee high challenge in five turgid minutes. Nothing to discuss, it was vanished.

This is strategic, BBC Scotland did not want anything to run interference with their Rangers/Morelos/McGregor narrative.

Not to mention the Scott Brown is amazing narrative that they’ve had going for a number of years now. He’s not someone they want negative coverage of. 

49 minutes ago, buster. said:

Scottish Fitbaw hacks in lazy, low-quality, parochial, cliche abounding and repetitive attacks on someone is par for the course.

Duncan Ferguson is from Stirling and got it as well.

Play for Rangers and you are much more liable to come under the media spotlight because for one thing, it sells newspapers.

Is it easier for them to centre on an individual who is probably not going to spend his whole career in Scotland, yes.

Neil Lennon get's a MUCH easier ride because the media know they have to tread wearily given the LOCAL politics (linked to the commercial aspect), because Lennon is media savvy and made a point of getting them onside, because Lennon became an almost self appointed patron saint of the sectarian issue which effectively gave him untouchable status and the national broadcaster are on his side of the political/sporting debate.

I'd put it this way................I don't like Neil Lennon, was glad to hear he had left Hibs last week and I think his presence in Scottish football is toxic but the grounds for my thinking is not because of his religion all, not at all sectarian, it's simply because of how he conducts himself and the ensuing reaction/fall-out.

I'd loosely compare those trying to call the Morelos coverage racist to those who call the negative reaction to Lennon, sectarian.

The main reasons for such coverage and reaction are the football teams they are related to, the poor quality of the media, the tribal nature of polarised perspective and that in both cases, the individuals consistently provide material.

The difference between the Morelos and Lennon coverage proves my point I feel. It's the media that shout 'sectarianism' at supporters criticising Lennon, the media don't criticise him, he gets a complete bye from our media to behave in any way he wants. When supporters, rightly, pull him and them up the bigotry accusation is levelled. White, Irish Lennon doesn't get called a devil, an animal or a nut job by our media. 

The difference here is it's the media who are demonising Morelos, who are cheerleading his transformation from the most exciting prospect in our league to something that crept out of Dante's circles of hell. 

I've no real issue with opposition supporters hating Morelos, that just proves he's doing his job and makes me love him even more. The media should be much fairer though, and they simply aren't and that a disgrace. 

2 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

The difference between the Morelos and Lennon coverage proves my point I feel. It's the media that shout 'sectarianism' at supporters criticising Lennon, the media don't criticise him, he gets a complete bye from our media to behave in any way he wants. When supporters, rightly, pull him and them up the bigotry accusation is levelled. White, Irish Lennon doesn't get called a devil, an animal or a nut job by our media. 

The difference here is it's the media who are demonising Morelos, who are cheerleading his transformation from the most exciting prospect in our league to something that crept out of Dante's circles of hell. 

I've no real issue with opposition supporters hating Morelos, that just proves he's doing his job and makes me love him even more. The media should be much fairer though, and they simply aren't and that a disgrace. 

What they should be and what we know them to be both before and after Morleos signing for Rangers are two different things.

Generally the media take the easy, lazy, controversial, click-bait route. The national broadcaster is another matter and I'll leave that to 26th's thread. 

It's nothing to do with "white". 

If Neil Lennon was called Paul Elliot it would be the same.

If Alfredo Morelos was called Fernando Ricksen it would be the same.

If Neil Lennon had played for St.Mirren it wouldn't be the same.

If Alfredo Morelos played for Motherwell it wouldn't be the same.

Wrt Lennon, yes, the coverage has something to do with the Irish angle because of the politics.

But wrt Morelos, yes the coverage is way OTT but we shouldn't forget that he does have a significant problem wrt discipline.

Lifted from FF:

Riled Rangers players were fired up to beat Aberdeen after the Dons trolled them with photos of their Betfred Cup semi-final win at Hampden this season.

And that led to the raucous post-match celebrations that prompted Reds gaffer Derek McInnes to complain to the Light Blues management team.

McInnes attempted to enter the away dressing room as he made it known he was unhappy at the excessive noise emanating from the visitors area.
McInnes was surprised at how much Steven Gerrard’s stars were whooping it up and blasting music after emerging victorious with 4-2 win in a pulsating Pittodrie clash.

He urged the the Light Blues to tone it down but the Rangers management team insisted they were entitled to lap up the huge victory that moved them five points clear of the Reds and kept them on the coattails of leaders Celtic.

And Record Sport can reveal that the visitors were motivated after being greeted by pictures of Aberdeen’s 1-0 last-four League Cup win over the Ibrox side in October.

Dons chiefs replaced pictures of some of their glory days of yesteryear with images of this season’s 1-0 League Cup last-four victory over the Ibrox side.
Rangers players noted the photos placed on the walls of the corridor leading to their dressing room as they entered the stadium.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

And Record Sport can reveal that the visitors were motivated after being greeted by pictures of Aberdeen’s 1-0 last-four League Cup win over the Ibrox side in October.

Dons chiefs replaced pictures of some of their glory days of yesteryear with images of this season’s 1-0 League Cup last-four victory over the Ibrox side.
Rangers players noted the photos placed on the walls of the corridor leading to their dressing room as they entered the stadium.

That is -there is only one word for it- classy. 

Its pathetically childish. Just like the fact that our players had to fetch the ball themselves when it eventually came back into play because the fans and ball boys wouldn’t give it back to us. The saddest thing is that it was the same wherever the ball went out t wasn’t even just a few idiots. 

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

the Rangers management team insisted they were entitled to lap up the huge victory that moved them five points clear of the Reds

That's embarrassing.   Aberdeen are diddy team - beating them should be run of the mill, at best.