[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 4 Rangers (Morelos 20, 38; Tavernier 43pen; Defoe 90+5)

5 hours ago, craig said:

Fuck me. That’s at the boys knee !!!  That’s a career ender - not the first time this season from him either.  Nothing said...

It didn’t make the highlights

14 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Okay, let's say it's not about his colour for a moment. One of this morning's papers describes Morelos as a "devil" and another as a "nut job" in their back page headlines. I'm sorry, but if national paper had described Neil Lennon as a 'devil' or a 'nut job' there would have been questions in parliament about it. If it's not about his race and it's not about his nationality then why isn't young Scott McKenna being described as a devil and a nut job? After all he was also sent off last night and not for the first time this season. As I said above Lewis Ferguson also seems to be getting judged by different standards. 

I'm unsure wether this is a case of straightforward racism because of his colour or, more likely, racism around his nationality and background. Funny looking South American who doesn't speak much English, hey lets start with the comedy Manuel stuff, stick in a few narcos/cartel jibes and, oh look, he doesn't like getting intimidated by big defenders, must be a typical Latin hothead, let's throw that in too. 

It's lazy, racist bullshit and we should be calling it out every time it's used. 

The story of last night's match wasn't Morelos being sent off, it was his total dominance of the Aberdeen defence up until that point. Last night was a great advertisement for our league. It was competitive, exciting, fast, it had moments of brilliance and moments of farce. 

Scottish Fitbaw hacks in lazy, low-quality, parochial, cliche abounding and repetitive attacks on someone is par for the course.

Duncan Ferguson is from Stirling and got it as well.

Play for Rangers and you are much more liable to come under the media spotlight because for one thing, it sells newspapers.

Is it easier for them to centre on an individual who is probably not going to spend his whole career in Scotland, yes.

Neil Lennon get's a MUCH easier ride because the media know they have to tread wearily given the LOCAL politics (linked to the commercial aspect), because Lennon is media savvy and made a point of getting them onside, because Lennon became an almost self appointed patron saint of the sectarian issue which effectively gave him untouchable status and the national broadcaster are on his side of the political/sporting debate.

I'd put it this way................I don't like Neil Lennon, was glad to hear he had left Hibs last week and I think his presence in Scottish football is toxic but the grounds for my thinking is not because of his religion all, not at all sectarian, it's simply because of how he conducts himself and the ensuing reaction/fall-out.

I'd loosely compare those trying to call the Morelos coverage racist to those who call the negative reaction to Lennon, sectarian.

The main reasons for such coverage and reaction are the football teams they are related to, the poor quality of the media, the tribal nature of polarised perspective and that in both cases, the individuals consistently provide material.

I know I am repeating points made on another thread.

On BBC Radio Scotland, Pat Bonner's half-time report mentioned Brown's challenge as a possible red card. It was not raised at full time. Sportscene did not include a knee high challenge in five turgid minutes. Nothing to discuss, it was vanished.

This is strategic, BBC Scotland did not want anything to run interference with their Rangers/Morelos/McGregor narrative.