Warburton on us winning 55

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I didn't think we had a chance of winning the league that season either.

Yes BD but remember how many games when we thought the players had “chucked it” and how bad the football had become. Now we know why. They were never under any pressure from MW as he was happy with mid table. Not good enough imo and he was out his depth.

I bear Warburton no grudges, he gave us a memorable Championship winning season including a cup win over the yahoos. But there is indeed a difference between him and Gerrard. When Gerrard was asked about winning the league he more or less said he was looking to win everything we played in.

Even when everyone including all of us had no expectation of reaching the EL group stages he insisted he was looking to do it and then achieved it.

From Warburtons wiki page.

May go some way to explaining why we were never going to win the league under him.

Warburton took a dislike to the methods of McLintock's successor at Leicester, Jock Wallace, later saying "he was a Marine.

We had runs on sand-dunes, running until we threw up. I learned a lot from that, never treating a player that way"

23 hours ago, Bill said:

Any time I hear Warburton's name I think about that embarrassment in the SC final. That will always sum him up for me.

On the money Bill.

Anyone who thinks warming up for an SCF with a friendly against Spurs U20s is adequate preparation is at worst a con man, at best someone way, way out of their depth.