Allan McGregor's two game ban stands

2 minutes ago, 917 said:

I don’t understand why Club 1872, and indeed RFC, aren’t highlighting that the CO works for Harper Macleod, who are celtics solicitors. It seems to me the CO is the problem here, not who is on the review panel. Do Harper Macleod do some work for us as well??

Personally I don't think highlighting that she works for Harper MacLeod is the way to go.  So long as she doesn't personally work on the Celtic account then they can defend her position as the CO because she, personally, has no conflict of interest.

They should just be going after her on the basis of obvious incompetence.

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Personally I don't think highlighting that she works for Harper MacLeod is the way to go.  So long as she doesn't personally work on the Celtic account then they can defend her position as the CO because she, personally, has no conflict of interest.

They should just be going after her on the basis of obvious incompetence.

Seems to me a clear conflict of interest though, and one the wider non-Rangers supporting public won’t be aware of. People in positions of authority have to not just be clean, but be seen to be clean, ie. there should be no question of any conflict of interest. Now if I was in that position, I would be wary of penalising Celtic because if Lawwell pulled the plug on their contract, well I wouldn’t be too popular with my bosses..

I would have no problem with McGregor's ban and might even be talked into Morelos' red, which was highly dubious.

But what can't happen is that e.g. Brown doesn't get an extra call to the CO after attempting to break Candeias' ankle. That the same player is not cited for lashing out with his elbow against Arfield. That Simunovic gets away with NOTHING for flooring Shaw (due to lack of evidence) or indeed that the Hibs player who floored Izaguerri (sp?) gets an additional ban on top of his yellow ... but Power isn't. Like it or not, there is an utter imbalance in the review system (even on the same game) and the respective punishments. And like it or not, it is in nigh all cases Rangers FC that suffers. As such, the CO and her cohorts distort the competition.

Edited by der Berliner

6 hours ago, onevision said:

Hopefully McGregor does the right thing and and sticks his two fingers up at the authorities again and retires from International football.  

Tempted to think the same but no point in him cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I'd much rather he was picking up caps that his understudy.

26 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Tempted to think the same but no point in him cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I'd much rather he was picking up caps that his understudy.

I have no interest in the national side whatsoever. I wish all our players would blank it. It also can’t be much fun for any bears who decide to watch Scotland at hanpden? 

5 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I have no interest in the national side whatsoever. I wish all our players would blank it. It also can’t be much fun for any bears who decide to watch Scotland at hanpden? 

I've got no interest either.

Although I think I would find it very funny to see the tartan army left with no option but to cheer on a team dominated by Rangers players.

ABOUT TIME

Aberdeen hero Shearer is delighted that Rangers keeper McGregor got banned

DUNCAN SHEARER is delighted Allan McGregor got banned for his straight-leg lunge on Aberdeen kid Lewis Ferguson.

Former Aberdeen and Scotland striker Shearer believes keepers can be as out of order as any outfield player — and get away with it too often.

Shearer watched last week’s bad-tempered Aberdeen v Rangers clash, and he feared top prospect Ferguson had suffered a horror leg injury following McGregor’s tackle.

Shearer was left outraged by McGregor’s challenge.

He said: “I saw the incident and McGregor came out at Ferguson straight-legged.

“No keeper ever came out like that with me in my career. Goalies always come out side-on. My opinion is McGregor knew exactly what he was doing.

“Andy Walker called it like that too on Sky Sports, and I immediately agreed with him.

“Players who have been around, and have been involved in things like that, can see such situations and instinctively realise what’s happened.

“McGregor got away with a couple before, particularly the incident with Kristoffer Ajer at Parkhead. Maybe the beaks are getting a bit fed-up with it.

“I also think there’s a weariness over constant appeals.

"Now they have acted decisively by banning McGregor, and I think they are 100 per-cent correct with this one.

“Ferguson’s lucky he was wearing shinpads. Otherwise it could have been really serious for him.

“It makes you wonder how bad it would have been if the boy’s leg had been planted on the ground when McGregor came through him.

“I watched Gary McAllister talk about the incident later, and I sympathised with him in terms of it being difficult to be critical of a Rangers player.

“I know Gary and respect him. But he can’t tell me that wasn’t a straight-legged tackle halfway up Ferguson’s leg.

“McGregor knew what he was doing, I’m in no doubt about that. Any good young footballers watching, now they definitely realise why you wear shinpads.

“I thought it was a nasty challenge straight away. I know soon after it Ferguson left a bit on McGregor.

“I appreciate that isn’t on, because goalies do need some protection. They are often diving at opponents’ feet, and putting their head into dangerous areas.

“Few people can forget what happened to Jim Leighton minutes into the Scottish Cup Final back in 2000.

“But there was real irony watching McGregor complaining about Ferguson’s late challenge. I was amazed he was whingeing.

“He was screaming and moaning about it — yet just minutes before he was more than happy to dish it out?

"I’m old school with the opinion that if you give it out then you have got to take it back.

“Look at Scott Brown at Celtic. He gives it out and gets it back — and he gets on with it.

“In my playing days I got whacked plenty of times by keepers coming out for the ball.

“Sometimes they would use a high ball as an excuse to punch you on the back of the head, claiming later they had simply misjudged their effort to clear.

“There were also countless times for me I would get a knee in the back at a cross.

“In a way it’s all part of the game. If I went up for a ball there were moments when you braced yourself to get hit.

“But there are other moments when a line is definitely crossed, and that’s how I saw McGregor’s challenge on Ferguson.

“McGregor’s got what he deserved.

"He’s a brilliant keeper for Rangers and Scotland, but NO player should be allowed to get away with that kind of nasty challenge.

“Keepers can be as sly as anyone else on the pitch. Why should they be treated any differently when it comes to disciplinary matters?

“Peter Schmeichel at Manchester United was the biggest bawler and moaner.

“I think a lot of it with him was about trying to intimidate strikers in particular — make them wary about coming anywhere near him.

“I never wanted to go in for a challenge with a keeper with my studs raised.

“I wasn’t an angel on the pitch, I stuck up for myself like any player should. But I wasn’t in the business of trying to hurt anyone.

“Keepers can be over-protected at times. It’s a physical game, and they should expect to be challenged within reason.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3875744/aberdeen-duncan-shearer-rangers-allan-mcgregor-banned/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1550097238