1 hour ago, onevision said:

My hero when i first set out to be a goalkeeper.

Never tire of watching THAT save from Pele infact after watching again on the news tge save is even better when you see how good the header was. Rip.

Perhaps all the more impressive when you take into consideration pitch conditions. Banks has said that Mexico was super hot and had been for weeks. This created very hard pitches on which the ball was bouncing unexpectedly high.

He decided when he got there that he had to put in a lot of practice anticipating how a ball was going to bounce on these super hard pitches.  Pele sent that ball down from a good height with surprising power and the ball did indeed take a great bounce but still Banks managed to palm it away.

There was a league cup semi final back in the early 70s Stoke the Hammers  banks made save after save that night at old Trafford we even had Bobby Moore saving a penalty after their keeper had to go off it ended three goals to two for Stoke that night , a great game .

20 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Banks of England. RIP.

A fabulous goalkeeper, who, if he wasn't the  best ever, was certainly in the top handful. 

Handful? Who was better?

Shilton? Not quite.

Frank Swift was the legend ‘keeper when I was a wee boy but you can’t make judgements from a few seconds of grainy newsreel.

A chap on Talksport suggested Peter Bonetti. Fine if Haffey is the comparison but not Banks.

Seaman? Not as good as Shilton? 

Who am I missing?

44 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Handful? Who was better?

Shilton? Not quite.

Frank Swift was the legend ‘keeper when I was a wee boy but you can’t make judgements from a few seconds of grainy newsreel.

A chap on Talksport suggested Peter Bonetti. Fine if Haffey is the comparison but not Banks.

Who am I missing?

Jan Tomaszewski was the best keeper I saw play in England !

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Handful? Who was better?

Shilton? Not quite.

Who am I missing?

Yashin, for one. 

Shilton, too.