[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 St Johnstone

1 minute ago, les186 said:

If we play as we did today against Kilmarnock we will be out the cup.

Killie will just come and do exactly what St Johnstone did. Sit back and hit us on the break. We have not got a clue how to break teams down

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

We just don’t recruit number 10s. It’s like Celtic with centre backs. Both sets of fans know what their team needs and bizarrely neither team will do it. 

Number 10s cost a lot of money. We bought Grezda who was being touted as potential £20m player by his international coach.

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Arfield is one of our best players - he'll be going nowhere.

Lafferty and Davis both look like mistakes.

Arfield can get pass marks. I won't argue. 

I forgot about McAuley, who must be for the off, and Flanagan, who has rarely, if ever, looked the part. 

We do need to clear the decks, and will, given the amount of loans, and players at contract end. What we don't need, thereafter,is to stuff the squad with essentially untried youth on loan, and ageing maestros who have lost their legs and mojo.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, is not a recruitment strategy. 

Contrary to what many are saying I thought Davis, Kamara and Kent were good today.  Admittedly not good enough.

Barisic, on the other hand, was terrible.  He has all the ability required yet he shows none of the courage.  Gerrard will hate that and happily drop him for Halliday if he doesn't turn it around.

Defoe was anonymous.  If he reads the gutter press then he will probably see a 2 next to his name.  There is no point in playing him if we don't adapt and give him the right kind of service.

Wes was good and made an exceptional save to retain a point.

Despite having mentioned all these individuals I think that the result was caused by the team performance rather than individuals.  It looks like we can't remember how to pass and create chances.  This is probably caused by the team relying on a moment of quality from someone like Morelos, Kent or Tavernier.  When that happens players stop thinking about picking the right pass or moving off of the ball.

I don't expect a collapse from Celtic so I think it is fair to say that this match is the final nail in the coffin of any league title challenge.

2 hours ago, Walterbear said:

We spent the money we got for Bates on Worrall. Worrall is no footballer and today slowed everything down but the real problem was the midfield. It was also obvious Defoe and Candeias are not going to win high balls constantly pumped at them. Today would have been better with a 4-4-2 but we have to assume Lafferty was doubtful and perhaps played with an injury.  Only Lafferty and Kent get pass marks because they at least tried to take responsibility. In truth that was fairly easy for St J. 

What money?

He left on freedom of contract.

Worrall is a loan anyway.  Not sure if we paid a fee for him but that would surprise me.