[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 St Johnstone

The issue most certainly isn't the ability of our squad. While it could and I hope will be improved, these are the same players who played their hearts out in Europe and against Celtic a few weeks ago. They can do it but the attitude is far from right and the next week they will deliver the feckless display we saw today. It was obvious within five minutes which heads they had on today.

Somehow, I can't imaging these same players turning in these half-hearted performances two weeks in a row under Walter Smith. It may be time to take the arm from around some shoulders and insert a size ten up some arses. 

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

The issue most certainly isn't the ability of our squad. While it could and I hope will be improved, these are the same players who played their hearts out in Europe and against Celtic a few weeks ago. They can do it but the attitude is far from right and the next week they will deliver the feckless display we saw today. It was obvious within five minutes which heads they had on today.

Somehow, I can't imaging these same players turning in these half-hearted performances two weeks in a row under Walter Smith. It may be time to take the arm from around some shoulders and insert a size ten up some arses. 

Quite a few changes from these teams. Also the Scottish teams sit in except scum. 

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

The issue is the ability of our squad. Against Celtic and in Europe we get teams that open up against us so we can play some open attacking football against them. Against SPFL teams they have everyone behind the ball and rely on the odd break upfield. In the good old days we had Laudrup and Gascoigne to break that kind of blanket defence down. We just don't have the ability to pass and dribble our way through  nowadays. I think we will need to go back to a big guy in the middle with someone to feed off him.

Edited by les186

39 minutes ago, pete said:

1) The Scottish Sun reports Rangers will pay around £2 million for Grezda, making him the Ibrox side's fifth most expensive recruit since their 2012 relegation, after Connor Goldson (£3.04 million*), Carlos Pena (£2.7 million*) Barisic (£2.22 million*) and Nikola Katic (£2.07 million*).

Gerrard was very clear that Grezda and Barisic were £1.5m each

1 hour ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Number 10s cost a lot of money. We bought Grezda who was being touted as potential £20m player by his international coach.

Grezda is very much a winger. Celtic picked up Rogic, Allan and Christie for peanuts. 

26 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

At the end of the day, we have a lot of players but one stands out a mile as the creater and instigator of the majority of our good attacking play.  

Kent? Not a popular view but I still think he’s way overrated. He gets plaudits for his “urgency” and “looking to make things happen” but he just lacks quality where it matters. Yes he’ll take someone on at the half way line and get you off your seat but how often does he create a goal scoring chance? Almost never. His final ball and shooting are both poor. If Murphy had stayed fit I think we’d be in a far better place right now. 

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Kent? Not a popular view but I still think he’s way overrated. He gets plaudits for his “urgency” and “looking to make things happen” but he just lacks quality where it matters. Yes he’ll take someone on at the half way line and get you off your seat but how often does he create a goal scoring chance? Almost never. His final ball and shooting are both poor. If Murphy had stayed fit I think we’d be in a far better place right now. 

I think one of the issues for Kent is that teams have sussed out he is one of our most creative outlets and are looking to stifle him by doubling up and reducing the space in which he operates.  I would, however, agree that he needs to play with his head up a bit more and when to charge forward and when to pass.

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

I think one of the issues for Kent is that teams have sussed out he is one of our most creative outlets and are looking to stifle him by doubling up and reducing the space in which he operates.  I would, however, agree that he needs to play with his head up a bit more and when to charge forward and when to pass.

They trebled on him at one point but that’s fine if the others have the wherewithal to use the space and these teams have figured out we don’t. The Candeias Tav partnership for example has ground to a halt. I can’t help thinking Barisic hamstring is causing him issues either physical or mental. He’s just not extending himself down the flanks. It’s as if he’s protecting himself. It’s not got the look of a regenerated post winter break team that’s for sure. Tragedy is Celtic are pysh. 

Edited by Walterbear