[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 St Johnstone

Bottomline,.......The squad was never good enough to win the League this season (unless Celtic imploded).

The financial gulf between us and them is plain to see on the balance sheet and in the respective squads.

Yesterdays result and performance was a kick in the stones but we are pretty much where where our finances correspond to. Looking like finishing 2nd which would be an improvement on recent seasons and alongside an excellent and unexpected group stage appearence in the Europa League represents a good start for SG&Co.

Steven Gerrard is a manager who is a natural leader and has done well in his first season at a big club but he isn't a miracle worker.

-------------

Looking forward, the real problem will continue to be the financial gulf.

Any title challenge was always a long shot. 

I'm most annoyed at letting our comfortable hold of 2nd slip. 

I said a few weeks again that this month was important because they were all winnable games. It was a good 12/15 points that could go a long way to opening up a gap in 2nd. 

A comfortable second was always the target, for me. It's taken a season or two longer than I expected. 

Not the time to throw the toys out the pram already. It was again one of those games where we simply tried to best a team at what they are doing best, and for years. Despite having the quality to outplay them. Why the players go into that mode after 20odd minutes is beyond me though. Get the ball on the deck and play football, instead of kick-and-rush. long headers back and forth in midfield and long balls from expert passers like Goldson. They should be castigated for not following the game plan ... again.

That said, SG needs to learn too. It is all fine and well having a go at the players afterwards, but we saw when Lafferty came on, we had the only decent shots on target in the 2nd half. He is a threat in such games, holds the ball and rains in shots. He must be stick on to play with Defoe or Morelos on Wednesday in a 4-4-2 or the like. SG spoke a wee while back about being able to shift the system ... but have we really seen that? Granted, the loss of JAck and Arfiled do hurt, as IMHO, Jack and McCrorie bossed the midfield against Killie. Kamara looks more than capable to fill in here, likes to go forward and has a pass in him. The only real positive for me yesterday.

Our captain was again all over the place and while people talk about his effort and goals and assists, it is games like these and misses like yesterday that can and have cost us points and games. Going by yesterday, I wonder whether we might see Polster and Halliday on Wednesday, if only to give certain people food for thought.

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I said a few weeks again that this month was important because they were all winnable games. It was a good 12/15 points that could go a long way to opening up a gap in 2nd. 

A comfortable second was always the target, for me. It's taken a season or two longer than I expected. 

The real issue is WHEN will we be in a position to win the League ?

Celtic made a pigs ear of the summer transfer window (without spending much money) and the general discontent around their camp had them dropping more points in the first half of the season than the norm. But we were unable to take advantage because we were still behind them.

In other words, we have room for improvement and I think SG&Co will take us on a level, but they do as well along with more financial muscle in summer 2019. 

I said the other day that the only way we will significantly move forward as a club is when and if we can bring through academy players that can progress quickly to excellence in the first team environment. Both for on-field and eventually off-field benefits (financial/transfer fees via player trading).

Edited by buster.

54 minutes ago, buster. said:

The real issue is WHEN will we be in a position to win the League ?

Celtic made a pigs ear of the summer transfer window (without spending much money) and the general discontent around their camp had them dropping more points in the first half of the season than the norm. But we were unable to take advantage because we were still behind them.

In other words, we have room for improvement and I think SG&Co will take us on a level, but they do as well along with more financial muscle in summer 2019. 

I said the other day that the only way we will significantly move forward as a club is when and if we can bring through academy players that can progress quickly to excellence in the first team environment. Both for on-field and eventually off-field benefits (financial/transfer fees via player trading).

Youths coming through is a big part of the strategy we need. 

We also need to continuously improve the squad, with astute acquisitions. We're on the right track there, with the DoF etc., but these last coupe of windows are the only instances when we can say we've really improved the squad, IMO. 

Investment is also key. 

My heart says next season -- even this season at it's most optimistic; my head says probably a couple of years yet.  

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Youths coming through is a big part of the strategy we need. 

We also need to continuously improve the squad, with astute acquisitions. We're on the right track there, with the DoF etc., but these last coupe of windows are the only instances when we can say we've really improved the squad, IMO. 

Investment is also key. 

My heart says next season -- even this season at it's most optimistic; my head says probably a couple of years yet.  

Agree to a point.

There is also an element of short-termism that has generally gone badly.

Taking short-cuts (squeezing perceived value) can have a tendency of going wrong.

There will be an increasing desperation as Celtic get closer to 10IAR and it'll be a test of the boardroom, aswell as the football staff.

Medium-term, I look at the U17s, consider our finances and see more hope there than our transfer policy.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I’m most annoyed that the majority didn’t look interested again. No desire or hunger for victory. That’s worrying that we settle for second best? Also Davis looks done (blowing out his arse still??) and Defoe was awful along with Candeias.

Defoe’s a finisher. The best Rangers have had for ages. But somebody else has to clear the way (Morelos) or create the chance (Morelos) Asking a lot of Alfie. That’s why the team needs a lock picker. I can’t think who that might be.