[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 St Johnstone

7 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I’m most annoyed that the majority didn’t look interested again. No desire or hunger for victory. That’s worrying that we settle for second best? Also Davis looks done (blowing out his arse still??) and Defoe was awful along with Candeias.

Asking more than players can collectively deliver can have a negative psychological effect that will of occasion rear it's head and be evident (resulting in a lack of consistency). I refer to winning the league rather than beating St.Johnstone.

Yesterday saw the hole that no Alfredo Morelos leaves when absent and also a general lack of confidence / abdication of responsibility when it came to making things happen which reflects both on ability levels and the mental aspect.

We've known since Shkupi that we've been short on creative options (SG said as much at the time) and it hasn't been effectively addressed.

1 hour ago, cooponthewing said:

I’m most annoyed that the majority didn’t look interested again. No desire or hunger for victory. That’s worrying that we settle for second best? Also Davis looks done (blowing out his arse still??) and Defoe was awful along with Candeias.

I agree. It fits into my point: Five eminently winnable games, to set a marker, and we've not looked up to it; It's extremely frustrating. 

I thought Davis was done before we signed him. He was the missing link for many. His legs have gone, but I still think he can do a job further back. He's just not the #10 we need. 

Defoe needs to be supplied; he didn't get a sniff yesterday. 

1 hour ago, compo said:

We would have been better promoting a couple of promising youths instead of bringing in Davis and Defoe .

You can argue that either way and make a case.

However 90%+ of managers would have taken D&D over promising youngsters in these particular circumstances.

Bringing young players into a team struggling through a malaise isn't always the best idea.  It's 'ideal world scenario' stuff.

With Morelos missing, we really don't frighten defences.  With Morelos AND Arfield missing, they know they're going to have an easy afternoon.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

You can argue that either way and make a case.

However 90%+ of managers would have taken D&D over promising youngsters in these particular circumstances.

Maybe that why there is such a high turnover of managers in football personally  I would be trying to blend in a couple of young players .

The faint heart won't win the fair maiden. 

Edited by compo

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Bringing young players into a team struggling through a malaise isn't always the best idea.  It's 'ideal world scenario' stuff.

With Morelos missing, we really don't frighten defences.  With Morelos AND Arfield missing, they know they're going to have an easy afternoon.

I guess there is an argument to say we were missing 75% of the spine of our team? Shagger-Arfield-Alfie all out and only Goldson at the back. Looking at it that way and it’s not hard to see why there was no leadership. I would give the armband to shagger or Goldson now. I seen Woral complain to Goldson yesterday but I would have Katic back in there quick smart!