[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 St Johnstone

Strange to see by far our two best midfielders - Jack and Arfield - suddenly cast on the scrapheap while we argue about bringing back Jason Holt. Christ Almighty.

Edited by Bill

As long as Halliday is anywhere near the 1st team, we won't be winning trophies.

We just don't have the quality to get a good run of victories.  Bringing in youth players, loanees and ex-players who are past their best won't fix that.

Out of all the players Gerrard has brought in, only Goldson, McGregor and Arfield get pass marks.  Maybe Kent too, although I think he flatters to deceive. 

Edited by Gonzo79

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We just don't have the quality to get a good run of victories.

I’m in two minds about this because on the one hand I totally agree, our squad isn’t as strong as Celtic’s it’s as simple as that. On the other hand how can we blame lack of quality when Kilmarnock and Aberdeen are within touching distance of us after 26 games? That strongly suggests poor management rather than lack of quality. 

24 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

There’s a lack of bloody-mindedness about the team. Richard Gough, John Brown, Stuart McCall all had a stubborn determination not to be beaten.

That's another strand of why I've been disappointed in Davis, and to a lesser extent Defoe, so far. As well as adding a bit of quality and guile I was hoping they'd set an example on the pitch - spur the team on with their winning mentality, and the professionalism to dig out results in unglamorous fixtures. It's not happening though.

41 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

There’s a lack of bloody-mindedness about the team. Richard Gough, John Brown, Stuart McCall all had a stubborn determination not to be beaten.

The era you refer to is like comparing apples and carrots in terms of ability.

It'd certainly help at times but no amount of bloody mindedness will see you put a consistent winning run together.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

The era you refer to is like comparing apples and carrots in terms of ability.

It'd certainly help at times but no amount of bloody mindedness will see you put a consistent winning run together.

I wasn’t comparing ability, though. You don’t have to be a skilful footballer to do the basics and never give up. Harry Davis and Bobby Shearer couldn't do slide rule passes or nutmegs but their mental sleeves were rolled up before they ran out of the tunnel and they kept at it for ninety minutes.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Strange to see by far our two best midfielders - Jack and Arfield - suddenly cast on the scrapheap while we argue about bringing back Jason Holt. Christ Almighty.

The discussion is about those brought in in last window especially Davis,I don't know where the Idea that Jack & Arfield have been cast aside came fro,my point was that we have players on loan that may have been able to do Davis's job.

Putting a winning run together ... I said it during the split and at the beginning of the season, the Yahoos have been given favourable starts to the respective parts with regards to opposition, whereas we did not. Things - as people like to say - even themselves out over the course of the season (as we all have to play these games at one point or another), but what we have seen in recent weeks is that - "according to plan" - the Yahoos smashed their way through all the weaker sides one way or another, while we stumbled at the expected hurdles at Killie (essentially twice).

So essentially nothing unexpected happened, the Yahoos got their headstart and pulled away. It hurt more than it should as we had all the opportunities both to put Killie to the sword instead of handing them 3 points or indeed drawing to the Perth Saints (who shipped 9 without reply against the Yahoos in recent weeks). Even against Livingston and St. Mirren we failed to hit the heights that we are capable of, heights we have shown in Europe and against the Scum. Obviously, these teams play a different style and simply try to stop us playing. Some better, some worse. And, like it ir not, SG much like MW or PC have not get answers to beat that on a regular basis ... even though this time about I would lay quite some responsibility at the players' feet.

NOW ... what puts a spoon of salt in that though is the amount of decisions that wen against us and the clear and open bias by the CO in their favour. As it stands, we have people suspended on various occasions for offences that have at least been contentious, while over on the other shre of the Clyde a guy like Brown has the Freedom of Scotland. A Simunovic floors a player and does not even get a cauition or Burke falls in the box to gain a penalty and doesn't get a card either. Remember Gordon's attempts at kung-fu or Brown's appealed and reduced dark REd against Ross County last season ...

That's two red cards for Brown in two games ... what are the chances that he will be free(d) to play against us in a few weeks time?

A quick look at the results since the turn of the year will show that we actually gained more points than I would have expected, even though the St. Johnstone score really hurt - not least with the Yahoos drawing till Brown, who should have been off again for this ...

... if we'd apply the "McGregor evidence" system.

https://postimg.cc/CByJC9ss

... managed that late winner with  a deflected shot. Much snickering down Yahoo way, I would imagine.

Kilmarnock 2 - Rangers 1

Livingston 0 - Rangers 3

( Cowdenbeath 1 - Rangers 3 )

Rangers 4 St. Mirren 0

Aberdeen 2 - Rangers 4

( Kilmarnock 0 - Rangers 0 )

Rangers 0 - St. Johnstone 0

I had my doubts about getting full points at Livingston and Aberdeen, but we did. Next up are a couple of games against Accies and Dundee, games we should really aim and accept nothing less than 6 points. At the same time, the Scum will play home to Motherwell and away at Hearts. The gap may come down a little by then.

Early March could be that turning point, as we will play both Hibs and the Scum away, while they will have Aberdeen at the Scumhut.

We need to sort out the tactics for teams like St. Johnstone and some level-playing field with suspensions and decisions by the CO would not go amiss either.