7 Labour MP's quit

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

A GE/By election could be 2 Years  away so not much the electorate can do in the meantime. Seems rather duplicitous if you ask me.

I guess they'd be arguing that they're standing by the policies that they were elected on, which they may not be able to do if they remained in the party, and therefore not duplicitous.

However I can see the merit on both sides of the argument.

4 hours ago, BEARGER said:

Don't think this is a runner for the 8 who have left Labour. Going into partnership with people who voted for cut benefits for the disabled & low-paid, the bedroom tax, lower taxes on the rich, cut & privatise public services, attack workers' rights and treble tuition fees in England. Don't see that going down well in Labour areas.

Has it definitely been confirmed that the Tories are joining forces with the 8 ex-Labour MPs?

I'd agree that it seems strange if they were to get together.

9 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Has it definitely been confirmed that the Tories are joining forces with the 8 ex-Labour MPs?

I'd agree that it seems strange if they were to get together.

Three MPs quit Tory party to join Independent Group

Heidi Allen, Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston jImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionHeidi Allen, Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston join the Independent Group

Three Tory MPs have resigned from the party to join an independent group, set up by former Labour MPs.

Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen wrote a joint letter to Theresa May to confirm their departure.

2 hours ago, BEARGER said:

The answer is they would not be jumping ship if it meant a by-election was compulsory. I know that MP’s are individuals, but very very few would be elected with out the party machine behind them. It’s a kick in the teeth to the local party workers.

Some in local parties will be happy to see the back of the MP.

I believe that Heidi Allen, for example, has not been terribly popular with her constituency party for a while.

5 hours ago, BEARGER said:

Don't think this is a runner for the 8 who have left Labour. Going into partnership with people who voted for cut benefits for the disabled & low-paid, the bedroom tax, lower taxes on the rich, cut & privatise public services, attack workers' rights and treble tuition fees in England. Don't see that going down well in Labour areas.

The longevity of the independent group is predicated on a realignment of the political divide in the United Kingdom.

That is to say the significant disagreement between government would no longer be primarily about spending levels.

The individuals involved suggest that the new divide would have to be related to our relationship with Europe.

It does make some sense since the Conservatives have a significant minority of Brexiteers in parliament whereas the Labour party are led by Brexiteers.

I wouldn’t attach too much importance to a few smug politicians whose personal ambitions have been thwarted. By far the most likely outcome will be the end of their political careers. 

3 hours ago, BEARGER said:

The answer is they would not be jumping ship if it meant a by-election was compulsory. I know that MP’s are individuals, but very very few would be elected with out the party machine behind them. It’s a kick in the teeth to the local party workers.

Blame the corporations :ninja:

Another one?

Breaking: Austin reported to have resigned

austin.png?w=243&ssl=1

Dudley North MP has reportedly already resigned from the Labour Party, having said only this week that he would decide by the end of the week. The news has broken on the normally very solid Zelo Street site.

Austin was also reported to have been seeking the opinion of his constituents, but it seems that didn’t take long.

Austin had not announced – and may have been waiting for the breakfast or weekend news cycle to maximise the impact of his announcement. Austin had been discomfited by a surge in the membership of his local party and managed to win his seat by only twenty-two votes amid the ‘Corbyn surge’ in 2017.

The SKWAWKBOX has been unable to get anyone at the Labour Party to deny the news. Mr Austin has been contacted for comment.