FT] Rangers 5 - 0 Kilmarnock (Morelos 7, 45+1, 77, 82; Halliday 75)

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard has questioned his players' mentality ahead of the club's crucial Scottish Cup fifth-round replay with Kilmarnock on Wednesday night.

Rangers head into the cup tie at Ibrox on the back of a hugely disappointing goalless draw at home to St Johnstone on Saturday, a result that ultimately saw them fall eight points behind Celtic at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

And Gerrard is determined to get rid of any complacency in his players, starting against Killie.

"The week's training heading into St Johnstone, I didn't see the team with the right mentality, I saw a bit of ego before that match," said Gerrard.

"This doesn't happen very often, we are usually strong. I have told the players in a very honest way that is not acceptable at Rangers.

"I don't think I was brutal, I was honest. Maybe I put it across in a more obvious way but I'm not going to lie to them. The reaction shouldn't be for me, it should be for the 49,000 inside Ibrox.

"I love my players to bits, they have gone to places for me and the fans that was above and beyond but there have to be times when you have to tell players certain things. It can hurt the player in the short term but will benefit them going forward.

"We need to go back to our standards, at the weekend I didn't see a proper Rangers team with the right mentality.

"If I see anyone thinking they can just walk into the team I will have words. I have done it myself, had a dip in form and went into cruise control, it's my job to spot it. We have players desperate for success but we are inexperienced in terms of winning."

Team news

Rangers striker and top scorer Alfredo Morelos returns from a two-game suspension, while midfielder Scott Arfield may feature after recovering from injury.

However, the hosts will be without suspended goalkeeper Allan McGregor, midfielder Ryan Jack is an injury doubt and Graeme Dorrans misses out after suffering a setback following almost five months on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, Steve Clarke's team will be without suspended centre-back Kirk Broadfoot after his sending-off against Celtic on Sunday and injured full-back Ross Millen.

However, the visitors are confident central defender Stuart Findlay will have recovered from injury in time to feature.

https://www.skysports.com/football/rangers-vs-kilmarnock/preview/406303

It's a bit worrying that Gerrard noticed the mindset problems in training but couldn't sort them out before kick off on Saturday. 

I think we'll struggle tonight.  Killie know how to set up against us and I worry about the attitude of our players.  

Neither team are in a great place.

- We haven't scored since Defoe deftly put away the definitive goal at Aberdeen (180 minutes)

- Kilmarnock haven't won a game since they beat us at Rugby Park nearly a month ago

Two things strike me as being especially important tonight.

1. Morelos plays at the high level we know he can.

2. We score an early goal (something we've done a lot at Ibrox this season.

I think we'll be up for it and we need to make a high tempo count for something in the first 20 minutes or so.

Neither Davis or Defoe should start.

I hope Arfield is fit and not at about 75% as he looked in the last few games.

I think we'll end up winning by a couple but that is contingent on an early goal.

I wouldn't fancy our chances if it becomes a frustrating battle.

Looking forward to seeing more of Kamara. He's a bit unlucky because he's joined at a time when the fans don't want another standard centre mid, but he seems to have the attributes to be as good as any we've got in that position.

6 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

ET and penalties you say...........?

Read what I wrote........

I think we'll end up winning by a couple but that is contingent on an early goal.

I wouldn't fancy our chances if it becomes a frustrating battle.

#3-1

Need a response after the St Johnstone disappointment. As has been mentioned an early goal could set us on the way. We're a superior side and once their strategy of wall building is negated they have to open up and give us space up front.