Selective hearing only fuels sectarian hatred

15 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

To be honest, I've got a lot of sympathy for Clarke here. He's been a bit of a clown these last couple of weeks with his comments on Defoe diving but, to the best of my knowledge, he's never uttered a peep about Irish history or politics. I've no problem giving him a hard time, but he's no more a "******" than many of the catholic players that have played for us, so why bring that into it? (To my mind, a ****** is someone who glorifies republican terrorists and sings bigoted anti-British songs - and most likely self-applies the term.)

It's good that Boyd's sitting alongside him too - it makes it that bit harder for the editorially biased to frame this as specifically Rangers' issue. The interviewer really ought to have asked Kris if he expects to receive an apology too though.

12 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Sectarianism will never be eradicated from Scottish football until Celtic face up to the fact it is they who have the biggest problem. Not us.

Let’s start with not segregating children at school. Schooling children to believe they are different and superior due to their religion is never a good start. 

41 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That comment wasn’t in response to your point about him being losing respect or credibility as a football manager, I had already commented on that.

It looked as if the gravity of how he had portrayed himself had dawned on him at his presser. His actions wouldn’t have seen his hopes of the St Pats job done and favours, quite the opposite tbh. I’m sure he will rightly receive plenty of support and sympathy but unfortunately his suitability for pressurised football management is severely damaged.

I avoided hearing the result and watched the full match delayed after 10pm on Premier sports. As they have exclusive tv rights they did the quick stand up interview after the match with Clarke and he was totally scathing of the refereeing but made absolutely no mention of the sectarian chanting. Having avoided the internet all night to avoid the score I then went online and was amazed to see clips of the sit down interview and the comments about the chanting. I reckon between interviews he has realised that his totally OTT comments about the ref would see him up on a charge and thought it might be better to deflect the attention away from himself in the sit down presser. I have looked for the full interview and can't find it anywhere so I'm not sure who raised the question of the chanting. Considering how upset he is by it I find it very strange he made no mention of it in the initial interview.

Apparently 'Stevie Clarke, you're a wanker' was sung first and he responded with a wave and a thumbs up, he did state in the interview he was okay with that type of abuse but managers responding to opposition fans are  usually opening themselves up to further abuse. 

52 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Let’s start with not segregating children at school. Schooling children to believe they are different and superior due to their religion is never a good start. 

Faith schools are a contributing factor.

But the biggest problem is Celtic FC & the militant Irish Republicanism amongst elements of its support which the Celtic board overlook

2 hours ago, Thinker said:

To be honest, I've got a lot of sympathy for Clarke here. He's been a bit of a clown these last couple of weeks with his comments on Defoe diving but, to the best of my knowledge, he's never uttered a peep about Irish history or politics. I've no problem giving him a hard time, but he's no more a "******" than many of the catholic players that have played for us, so why bring that into it? (To my mind, a ****** is someone who glorifies republican terrorists and sings bigoted anti-British songs - and most likely self-applies the term.)

My issue is his hypocrisy, ignoring the Boyd situation initially. He claims he wasn't aware of the songs against Celtic, or the coin throwing but that stretches his credibility,

Even in the slight chance that what he said was true he would have known about it before he refused to comment on the Celtic fans at his next press conference.

He can't have it both ways.

He was also caught lying about the Rangers job.

33 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

He was also caught lying about the Rangers job.

Another unfair criticism I think. Do you think the Rangers board would be happy with him telling the world he'd been approached? The professional thing to do was not to tell and that's probably what the board asked him to do when he turned it down.