[FT] Hamilton 0 - 5 Rangers (Jack 16; Defoe 17; Arfield 24; Tavernier 44pen; Lafferty 88)

A very good win and heartening display of nice football.

A shame we didn't score more but we'd all have taken 0-5 at the start of the day.  Also, good to get another clean sheet.

Onwards and upwards!

39 minutes ago, craig said:

We’ve taken our foot off the gas.  This is the perfect opportunity to enhance the goal difference

I absolutely agree with you @craig and we need to stop doing it because rest assured the team sitting top of the league would be increasing their goal difference given half the chance.

I don't want to put a downer on a great 0-5 result today but I'm feeling that it was an opportunity wasted to close that goal difference gap.

IMHO, Kamara was the missing piece in our MF. He works well with Jack, plays neat passes and hardly ever loses his cool. Slotted in rather well.

BTW, our women were playing Partick Thistle away today, being 4-0 up at half time too, yet game finished 4-0 as well. As it often does. We let them in after HT somewhat, but never really looked in any great danger ... so why take too many risks on that surface (which has to be said). Laff could have had a couple more, Defoe too.

Keep that form up and build more confidence on Wednesday!

9 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

I absolutely agree with you @craig and we need to stop doing it because rest assured the team sitting top of the league would be increasing their goal difference given half the chance.

I don't want to put a downer on a great 0-5 result today but I'm feeling that it was an opportunity wasted to close that goal difference gap.

Sure, but it was unlikely that we'd have scored another 4; it doesn't work like that, no matter how we approach it. We caught them tactically, and dominated, and were clinical. They changed it second half, too, which negated that numerical superiority we enjoyed in the first half.

Edit: I had a look at their results -- I did not care for it ? -- and they've done what we've done, several times: Running away with it in the first half, then not continued.

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Sure, but it was unlikely that we'd have scored another 4; it doesn't work like that, no matter how we approach it. We caught them tactically, and dominated, and were clinical. They changed it second half, too, which negated that numerical superiority we enjoyed in the first half.

That’s all well and good but there can be no doubt we dropped the tempo 2nd half deliberately.

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We did ease off the gas, however we were also unlucky not to score more, settle for that result/performance prior to KO

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

We did ease off the gas, however we were also unlucky not to score more, settle for that result/performance prior to KO

Yep.  Despite slowing up second half we could still have scored half a dozen more

I feel Lafferty is so unlucky.

He gets into so many good positions, and gets some terrific chances, but it always seems like does what he needs to do to score -- get a good connection, hit the target etc. -- but the 'keeper will save it, or there will be a deflection somewhere. 

And, because he's not getting that end product, he's been left out. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Sure, but I'm unconvinced it was as prominent, or the primary cause of fewer goals scored. 

I personally feel it was the primary cause.  We slowed it down and played keep ball.  We didn’t look to penetrate as much.

But that’s just picking apart something that barely needs picking apart.  Could have had more but a 5-0 win away from home is a very good days work