Union Bears statement

49 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I have to disagree with this mate.  They are not the same, and I won't respect them when I see them on marches with balaclavas.  It is sinister and it brings the club into disrepute.  That's something that should be challenged, not respected.

As far as I'm aware the UB are a very visible and public group and not as you seem to be implying a proscribed organisation. I don't recall their name being attached or involved in crowd disturbance or violence. They stand in the same place every home game unmasked if you want to look at their fizzogs.

If I were a young man and inclined to march in protest and/or political action I too would cover up my face and any other easily identifiable markings. When these UB cant go to the football together because they are monitored, filmed and photographed at every opportunity all done under the guise of security intelligence gathering when they've done very little of a threatening nature towards well anyone really other than write a couple of poorly worded fliers. When we take into account the modern fascination with facial recognition and the propensity of authorities to photograph and film its population at will, which I find far more invasive and sinister, then I have some sympathy.

You're speaking to the wrong person if you think that you can find parity with me via that line. I'm still of the mindset that it is my, your and everyone elses right to anonymity and to go about our business without interruption or having to identify ourselves even when marching to a football stadium. 

Edited by Big Jaws

2 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

As far as I'm a ware the UB are a very visible and public group and not as you seem to be implying a proscribed organisation. I don't recall their name being attached or involved in crowd disturbance or violence. They stand in the same place every home game unmasked if you want to look at their fizzogs.

If I were a young man and inclined to march in protest and/or political action I too would cover up my face and any other easily identifiable markings. When these UB cant go to the football together because they are monitored, filmed and photographed at every opportunity all done under the guise of security intelligence gathering when they've done very little of a threatening nature towards well anyone really other than write a couple of poorly worded fliers. When we take into account the modern fascination with facial recognition and the propensity of authorities to photograph and film its population at will, which I find far more invasive and sinister,.then I have some sympathy.

You're speaking to the wrong person if you think that you can find parity with me via that line. I'm still of the mindset that it is my, your and everyone elses right to anonymity and to go about our business without interruption or having to identify ourselves even when marching to a football stadium. 

So, if they attend the march on 16th, should I expect them (and you) to cover their face?  If so, I (and many others) will not go.  I cannot be associated with that.  If that happens, we will not gather the wider support we need and that's going to be damaging.

I am against the intrusion of privacy also, and hate the CCTV big brother state, but I will not bring my club into disrepute by acting in a sinister manner, just because the police state does.

4 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

So, if they attend the march on 16th, should I expect them (and you) to cover their face?  If so, I (and many others) will not go.  I cannot be associated with that.  If that happens, we will not gather the wider support we need and that's going to be damaging.

I am against the intrusion of privacy also, and hate the CCTV big brother state, but I will not bring my club into disrepute by acting in a sinister manner, just because the police state does.

You're entitled to your opinion but as has been said already I find the political reaction to their fliers far more sinister. Its clear that the targeting of them by various politicians is why they've felt the need to cover up while marching to the stadium. From the arguments I've seen you make on these very boards playing with emotive language and argument is beneath you. 

Are grown men seriously intimidated by teenagers, who are surrounded by Police officers, wearing balaclavas on an organised march?

There are plenty of truly 'sinister' things going on in Scottish football just now.

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Well I don't trust Glasgow Council who'd be issuing the Safety Certificate, I don't trust Police Scotland who'd are ultimately responsible for public safety and policing of events and, in truth, I don't trust any football club to put safety over money, not even ours. As you know 66 people didn't come home from one of our matches, it wasn't the first time either. Our ground has been one of the safest in the country since then, I can think of no good reason to start reversing that. 

I'm sure when it was first opened it would be pristine and well regulated and under scrutiny, but after a few years it would become part of the furniture, and if money got tight maybe they could do the barrier work every other year, it'll be fine, and perhaps we could fit a few more fans in there and so on. 

I was brought up on terraces and I saw the worst of them first hand. I don't welcome them back. 

Does Glasgow City Council issue the safety certificate for the stadium as it is?

Is Police Scotland responsible for public safety and policing of events at present?

Do Rangers put money over safety just now?

21 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Are grown men seriously intimidated by teenagers, who are surrounded by Police officers, wearing balaclavas on an organised march?

There are plenty of truly 'sinister' things going on in Scottish football just now.

It's not about being intimated. Why would anyone want this type of masked protest associated with our club? If people think this is acceptable then God help us?

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

No one in Scotland, outside of the press, actually cares about a couple of teenagers wearing balaclavas on a well-Policed march.

Knickers definitely need to be untwisted.

We used to run wild in previous decades.  What happened to us?