Union Bears statement

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No one in Scotland, outside of the press, actually cares about a couple of teenagers wearing balaclavas on a well-Policed march.

Knickers definitely need to be untwisted.

We used to run wild in previous decades.  What happened to us?

:thinking:

Think I will go and start a little burka thread in the lounge.

See if any interesting opinions turn up. :)

46 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

To me the chance of a peaceful demo could be sabotaged by intruders who could quite easily cause disruption which would be gladly be highlighted by the plod and especially BBC,so care is needed.

You could say that about anything, even the game last night. 

The VBs have organised two or three similar demos in the past and there's never been any trouble, as far as I'm aware. 

13 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No one in Scotland, outside of the press, actually cares about a couple of teenagers wearing balaclavas on a well-Policed march.

Knickers definitely need to be untwisted.

It does appear to be an over-reaction. I'm guessing sooner of it may be due to their politics which some may not like, so they're focusing on the wearing of balaclavas, even though it's done when marching behind police. 

20 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

You could say that about anything, even the game last night. 

The VBs have organised two or three similar demos in the past and there's never been any trouble, as far as I'm aware. 

That's fair enough but have the demo's that were organised happened anywhere away from Ibrox?

16 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

That's fair enough but have the demo's that were organised happened anywhere away from Ibrox?

The demos I'm referring to were Anti-BBC at Pacific Quay. This isn't the first one they've organised. I think this one is the fourth. 

12 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Does Glasgow City Council issue the safety certificate for the stadium as it is?

Is Police Scotland responsible for public safety and policing of events at present?

Do Rangers put money over safety just now?

Do councillors ever change? Do council priorities ever change? 

Does policing ever change? Do police treat football supporters the same as other parts of society? 

As for Rangers, well I hope not and have no reason to suspect they are. However, I wouldn't have trusted some of the people who've 'controlled' us in the recent past and none of us know what the future holds. 

I spent my formative days watching football from terraces. I had a season ticket for the Enclosure whilst it was still terraced, I get the nostalgia trip some have for it but it doesn't change the fact that seated stadiums are safer than terraces. The day of the Hillsborough disaster I was at Parkhead watching Rangers in a cup match. We were in the 'Jungle' as it was called, an infamous terrace frequented by Celtic's hardcore support. It was my first visit to that end of the ground. The place was a death trap, how nobody died accessing or leaving that place I'll never know. That day, when 96 football supporter's were crushed to death because the police viewed them as sub-human, and because the people whose job it was to ensure safety were, at best incompetent, at worst negligent, I saw Rangers supporters literally punch each other to try and escape a crush leaving Parkhead. The worst of it RS is it wasn't a big surprise, I'd seen that before and I saw it again after. At Brockville I was in a crush that saw people hospitalised, I've no proof but I'm fairly sure turnstyle operators were allowing more people in than they should have, people can be greedy without thinking of the possible consequences. I was in a crush at East End Park at half time where a woman broke her leg. I can still hear the snap sound, everyone within 20 feet of her heard it, followed by her cry of pain. Ambulance staff couldn't reach her and she ended up being passed down over supporter's heads. I saw crushes at Easter Road on one of our very first matches on the 90s, we greeted the new decade with a return to the 1940s complete with police who didn't even try and hide their contempt for us far less help. 

The irony is once the danger passed, you laughed about it, shrugged it off, cursed the shithole ground you were at and walked back to the bus or train, adrenaline and camaraderie doing their jobs on your mindset. 

Yip, I know, it's different now. It couldn't happen today, things have changed, standards are higher, people are different. Well I don't buy it. Football fans, ours in particular, are still viewed as sub-human by some people, people in positions of power too. 

The thing I always keep in mind is there were 25 people killed at Ibrox when a stand collapsed in 1902. We changed the ground after that, at great expense to the club both on and off the park. Yet, despite that it happened again, and more people died. I'm fairly certain those in charge said this can never happen again after that incident, I'm sure they meant it too. I'm not inclined to find out if it could happen. 

18 hours ago, Bluedell said:

It does appear to be an over-reaction. I'm guessing sooner of it may be due to their politics which some may not like, so they're focusing on the wearing of balaclavas, even though it's done when marching behind police. 

The truth is I don't agree with their politics either @Bluedell but I'll defend their right to have a political opinion regardless of whether I agree with it or not. Its a situation I have previous in. In my final year of Uni 92' I canvassed the University senate into hearing debate against SLAB Murphy position. He had just taken over as the president of the SNUS and had dictatorially refused to affiliate the RCP now RCS (revolutionary communist society). Incidentally theirs was and still is a political opinion I do not agree with. My position was that its not Murphy or new labours job to decide what political discourse undergraduates are entitled to read or discuss and I'll be damned if I'd allow him or his party to dictate to us what is. Other than the RCS president I was the only speaker. The senate agreed with my position and had them affiliated.

It seems to me that the UB hold political views that some are are uncomfortable with hence their stance on them however there are others within the Rangers support who simply see them as an annoyance. Neither of these positions sit well with me. 

Edited by Big Jaws