Fans Protest: Bears Against The BBC

As I have already said I am not one to protest but may I add at hought to this post in that those organising whether it be UB/VB or others that recruiting a known name to head/front, like the protest led by Sandy Jardine, might be more effective.

One of the reasons the spiv era went on as long as it did was down to the lack of political unity or gumption within the Rangers support. Included in that was a well attended Rangers Fan demo at BBC Scotland somewhere around October 2011. A demo that's message was hijacked by a very mistaken decision to publicly defend Craig Whyte after the PQ documentary that revealed the 7 year directorship ban.

Fair play to those who turned up on Saturday and they were certainly  unlucky with the weather. I'm not in a position to criticise anyone for not going, sat here a long way from the rain of Glasfgow.

More broadly, I think the recovery and modernisation of the club at various levels was always going to take longer than many hoped or envisaged. There are many forces lined up against us, both on and off the field. The positive is that I think we are moving forward, all be it, slowly .

As far as fan representation is concerned, after the predictable teething problems, Club 1872 looks like it is starting to find it's feet and I always thought that in time other things would grow from that, eg. public but indirect link with club that was able to lobby with a reasonable success rate (similar to CQN).

The Judea Peoples Front nature of our fans groups over the past decade has left a mark and there are many who simply see a set of initials and don't want involved. It's one of the scars that won't heal quickly.

I think Patience and Realism are still very much required both on and off field.

We'll get there if we are prepared to show a reasonable degree of P&R and the only thing that threatens that is if we try to continually force things in too much of a hurry.

It's very easy to say this, that and the other should be done but it generally comes down to a few influencers across the community backing such stuff.  If you don't get them on board then, rightly or wrongly, the generic goodwill isn't often found to maximise numbers.

FWIW, I don't get on well with every Rangers fan I know but I'd certainly put the greater good well before any such personal relationships.  Having a united front is important and I think opposition against BBC Scotland is one area where Rangers fans can largely agree we need to become more militant where possible.

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

It's very easy to say this, that and the other should be done but it generally comes down to a few influencers across the community backing such stuff.  If you don't get them on board then, rightly or wrongly, the generic goodwill isn't often found to maximise numbers.

FWIW, I don't get on well with every Rangers fan I know but I'd certainly put the greater good well before any such personal relationships.  Having a united front is important and I think opposition against BBC Scotland is one area where Rangers fans can largely agree we need to become more militant where possible.

A united front  wrt organisation and better weather = well attended demo

That would leave pitching it correctly and broadcasting it to as wide as audience as possible.

14 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Cheers mate.

I agree with the spirit of your comments. However, I reckon a lot of supporters who would potentially turn up are slightly put off by some of the perceived baggage that the VB or UB for example, have; rightly or wrongly. Club1872 maybe aren't the vehicle that some of us thought it could be, but I would envisage that some of our less politically motivated supporters would feel more inclined to support something en masse that they put their name to.

Something for our supporter chiefs to chew over?

A big protest akin to the Main Stand/Easdale/Sommers one in Jan '15 would send a message to the BBC in London never mind Glasgow.

As a member of Club1872 I asked if they would back the demo. They said they hadn't been asked and weren't sure on arrangements/permissions etc, so couldn't commit at this time. They also said no other members had asked them.

Likewise, i believe other Rangers forums hadn't publicised event. Because of history/personality stuff.

There's some questions here. The bigger picture should have been all encompassing. A chance for an olive branch from either side and opportunity to be the bigger person. These groups dont have to like each other but at times they have a duty to suck it up, imho.

Likewise, organiser could've reached out more (i'm assuming they didnt, they maybe did) and then at least they've done their bit.

Ultimately, should've been postponed with the weather.