Borna Barisic says he can’t play on artificial pitches

RANGERS defender Borna Barisic has revealed he won't play on artificial surfaces because of recent injuries.

The Croatian international has impressed since his £2 million move from Osijek, but his season has twice been disrupted by lengthy injury setbacks with the Gers.

He was injured after playing in Livingston's Tony Macaroni Arena surface in September and he came off towards the end of Rangers' win on the same pitch in January.

But he's revealed he missed the 5-0 romp at Hamilton Accies and a game at Killie because of their pitch and he doesn't expect to feature again at any of the three clubs in the top flight with plastic pitches.

Barisic said: "I didn't play at Hamilton because it was an artificial pitch.

"And I also missed the game at Kilmarnock for the same reason. I've been advised to skip games on those surfaces.

"Because I suffered an injury on an artificial pitch, I really don't like playing on them.

"The last time when I was injured, I returned too early. I can't say I have been completely satisfied with my first full season at Rangers because I've had some injuries.

"Injuries happen, but hard surfaces are a problem and we play every three or four days, so sometimes I have to miss the match."

And Barisic, in an interview in Croatian publication Sportske Novosti, admits it will be tough to catch Celtic in the league.

He said: "Celtic are eight points clear and we are clear of Aberdeen in third place.

"We won't give up when we are fighting for the title - Rangers are a big club and we can't afford to do that.

"But Celtic do have a large advantage."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3944764/rangers-borna-barisic-cant-artificial-pitches-injury/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1551531006

No one likes artificial pitches but it's a team game and I would expect my players to adapt,  what next the clubs using the wrong soap powder when washing the strips and giving him a rash .

Sounds like a big Jessie to me .

39 minutes ago, compo said:

No one likes artificial pitches but it's a team game and I would expect my players to adapt,  what next the clubs using the wrong soap powder when washing the strips and giving him a rash .

Sounds like a big Jessie to me .

Totally agree but I did post before one of the games on the kid on surface that although he had been predicted to play I thought Halliday would instead and was correct.

This is one of the reasons I would pick Halliday over him anytime.

12 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Some players are more susceptible to injury than others on these pitches. That’s one of the problems with them

Would seem to be the case although the curious case of David Templeton comes to mind.

On 02/03/2019 at 13:05, ian1964 said:

"Because I suffered an injury on an artificial pitch, I really don't like playing on them."

Hope he doesn't get injured on grass.

Edited by Briton