Club statement today

44 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Ditch them and they'll say Derry's Walls is sectarian and Rule Britannia is 'Far Right'.  Give them an inch and all that.  Who gets decide which Rangers fans have a say on what is and isn't offensive?  

Good luck getting future generations along to watch us play Hamilton and Livingston on plastic pitches when we become just a football club, like some would like to see.

Strawman nonsense. There's no way they could legitimately punish us for either of those songs. Public opinion would be on our side - especially given the songbook across the city, or even historical battle references sung about at Scotland matches.

Obviously plastic pitches have fuck all to do with what we're talking about.

Edited by Thinker

I'm not the one telling Rangers fans what they can and can't sing.  I have no wish to ever do so.

One could argue that those bending to the will of the shrill press and politicians are bigger mugs than me. 

Football is already far too sanitised in the UK, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd just like all the overly sensitive old grannies to go back and do what they did before and leave the glorious tribalism of football rivalry alone.

Even if Rangers fans ditch the more questionable songs, the Nats, the BBC and all that lot will only find something else about us to get offended about. Testicular fortitude is required - subservient lickspittles less so.

No Surrender. 

It’s a bit childish to describe those who support the club here the way you do. You can have all the tribalism you want but why do we need to sing anti Irish and anti RC words when we have both Irish and RC players and have for a long time? I wonder if Barisic, Katic, Morelos, Flanagan and co would prefer if we stopped singing “F*** the Pope” and “fen1an b******s”. 

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm not the one telling Rangers fans what they can and can't sing.  I have no wish to ever do so.

One could argue that those bending to the will of the shrill press and politicians are bigger mugs than me. 

Football is already far too sanitised in the UK, in my opinion.

That's true you're not. The club chairman is requesting you don't sing certain songs because it gives the shrill press and politicians an easy opportunity to leverage public opinion against us. Our enemies want you to keep singing these songs. They're seeking an opportunity to hamper the club's progress so why comply?

Yes, football it is too sanitised, I agree, but that's how it is. As always, we have to deal with the reality of the situation.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

These sorts of songs are juvenile, I agree.

Ditch them and they'll say Derry's Walls is sectarian and Rule Britannia is 'Far Right'.  Give them an inch and all that.  Who gets decide which Rangers fans have a say on what is and isn't offensive?  

We decide. We set our own standards. We're not giving anyone an inch.

It really is time to ditch some of these songs and to stop swimming against the tide. No one wants to be coerced into change by people who feign offence that almost certainly doesn't exist in reality but neither are we going to move forward by indulging in what amounts to little more than self-harm.

I fully understand the element of defiance involved and the one-sided condemnation we suffer but I wouldn't sing these songs and I don't particularly want my grandkids to hear, let alone sing these songs. As much as I hate the idea of bending over to our critics, I completely agree with the club's statement and any fans who can't change will have to be left behind.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

It really is time to ditch some of these songs and to stop swimming against the tide. No one wants to be coerced into change by people who feign offence that almost certainly doesn't exist in reality but neither are we going to move forward by indulging in what amounts to little more than self-harm.

I fully understand the element of defiance involved and the one-sided condemnation we suffer but I wouldn't sing these songs and I don't particularly want my grandkids to hear, let alone sing these songs. As much as I hate the idea of bending over to our critics, I completely agree with the club's statement and any fans who can't change will have to be left behind.

Maybe without these fans the club will be left behind.

These fans PAY to get into the ground to enjoy their game, most of the people complaining are armchair critics. This has been shown to be true with songs,soldiers on the park on Armistice Day game etc.

The fans don't need to be treated like children or cattle herded around. The club should be encouraging an enjoyable experience for the fans. After all they've been around for nearly 150 years and I'm sure when they feel self-policing is required they will deal with it. They did in my day, what's changed?

6 minutes ago, barca72 said:

Maybe without these fans the club will be left behind.

These fans PAY to get into the ground to enjoy their game, most of the people complaining are armchair critics. This has been shown to be true with songs,soldiers on the park on Armistice Day game etc.

The fans don't need to be treated like children or cattle herded around. The club should be encouraging an enjoyable experience for the fans. After all they've been around for nearly 150 years and I'm sure when they feel self-policing is required they will deal with it. They did in my day, what's changed?

I could have written that a short while ago and I’ve been slow to change but I’m now convinced there’s another future for us that’s being denied by people who can’t change. And the really sad thing is that the changes needed are tiny. Certainly not worth the fuss that’s often made about it. We’re no less Rangers fans because we don’t sing about ****** bastards, whether sitting at Ibrox or in an armchair. And we ALL pay to get into the ground.

In geology there a famous principle that the present is the key to the past. With too many Rangers fans it seems it’s the past that’s the key to the future.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I could have written that a short while ago and I’ve been slow to change but I’m now convinced there’s another future for us that’s being denied by people who can’t change. And the really sad thing is that the changes needed are tiny. Certainly not worth the fuss that’s often made about it. We’re no less Rangers fans because we don’t sing about ****** bastards, whether sitting at Ibrox or in an armchair. And we ALL pay to get into the ground.

In geology there a famous principle that the present is the key to the past. With too many Rangers fans it seems it’s the past that’s the key to the future.

I don't think the fans who sing about ****** bastards are asking you or anyone else to sing about them either, so you can make your own choices without pressure. I assume they would appreciate the same choice.
I believe that there is a famous principle in a fan base that has survived for almost 150 years - 'Those that don't know their past will not know where their direction is for the future'; or in the vernacular - 'No Surrender'.

4 hours ago, barca72 said:

I don't think the fans who sing about ****** bastards are asking you or anyone else to sing about them either, so you can make your own choices without pressure. I assume they would appreciate the same choice.
I believe that there is a famous principle in a fan base that has survived for almost 150 years - 'Those that don't know their past will not know where their direction is for the future'; or in the vernacular - 'No Surrender'.

The future will be better if we drop some of the now embarrassing baggage from the past.

Back in the 70's I'd sing all the songs but I now cringe when I hear them. Not only is it embarrassing that grown men feel the need to do it but it's self-harming as far as the club is concerned, never mind individually.

IIRC you wrote a fair bit about the O.O. when those threads were up in the Lounge. If your opinion here is intertwined with the O.O., maybe they along with the RC church, are indeed part of the problem and society would be better off without both.

The RC Church has major issues with headline industrial scale child rape but what are the Scottish newspapers talking about ?.....Rangers supporters singing songs within a sectarian problem. Politically, we don't have a scooby doo.