Club statement today

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's subjective, isn't it.  I keep hearing we're a 'broad church', so I'd assume there's a variety of opinions on what is and isn't acceptable.  There is no definitive list - there never has been.  Bears submitting to the yahoo (incorrect) definition of the F word disappoints me, I must say.

The board have already decided to give the inch.  I doubt the support at Pittodrie today will be so willing.

Good luck with their less than willing attitude when tickets are removed, stands are closed and pts are are taken off.

"But, but, but...ah pure live ra Rangers...". Obviously they don't. Why would you set out to damage something you supposedly cherish? 

13 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Thanks for making me checking this out, instead of diving into the world-wide web yourself ... ?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/old-firm-clash-songs-what-5060640

That’s not an official list dB. There has never been an “official” what can and can’t be sung list. Certain words in some songs were being pushed to criminalise under the old OBFA. If you change those words you can’t be charged. However, back to the point; there is no official list of songs. What you have put up was recommendations made to the Scot squad for use under the OBFA.

Scottish football clubs which fail to stamp out sectarianism risk having to play matches behind closed doors — and even having their grounds shut down for weeks.

The Sunday Times understands that SNP ministers favour handing sweeping new powers to local councils to license football stadiums in a drive to improve public order and safety.

The Scottish government is expected to indicate its support for the idea within weeks after becoming increasingly concerned about poor behaviour at matches.

Last week deputy chief constable Will Kerr, who spent almost 30 years in Northern Ireland, told of his shock at how “normal” sectarianism and “consistently thuggish behaviour” have become.

Police are investigating claims of offensive chanting at Tynecastle and reports of coins being thrown onto the pitch at a Hearts-Celtic match last week. A small group of fans were filmed chanting “I hope you die in your sleep Brendan Rodgers. . . with a bullet from the IRA” in an Edinburgh bar game as the Celtic boss quit for Leicester.

It came as Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke hit out at Rangers fans who called him a “****** b******”.

Justice secretary Humza Yousaf said: “When it comes to tackling unacceptable conduct at football, governing bodies and individual clubs must take serious measures to tackle this unacceptable behaviour. However, it would be foolish not to also consider what additional action could be taken. We will continue to consider the full range of options and I will listen to ideas from across the parliamentary chamber, be it strict liability or exploring what can be done within current licensing laws. Nothing is off the table.”

In an interview with The Sunday Times today, Irvine Welsh, the bestselling author, said he backed Rangers and Celtic being forced to play matches behind closed doors if they do not act decisively. He claims an unhealthy willingness to accept “weekend bigots” is to blame for the sectarian chanting that has enveloped Scottish football in recent weeks.

The SNP MSP James Dornan has proposed legislation to make professional football clubs strictly liable for their supporters’ behaviour. Sanctions under strict liability would include warnings, fines, annulment of match results, the closure of sections of grounds, playing matches behind closed doors and the docking of points.

However, ministers are understood to have cooled towards that idea, believing its introduction could be “legally challenging”. In 2013 Scottish clubs rejected a move to introduce it. However, similar sanctions and ground closures, potentially forcing home games to be played away, would be open to local authorities through licensing.

This week will see the publication of the report into policing at Scottish football matches commissioned last September by Kerr following an incident at Celtic Park after an Old Firm game when five people required medical treatment. The report, by deputy chief constable Mark Roberts has considered operational planning, intelligence gathering and resource deployment.

Labour MSP James Kelly, who led the campaign to scrap offensive behaviour at football legislation at Holyrood, indicated that he is open to new controls.

He said: “There is a challenge to the clubs and football authorities to come forward with constructive proposals to ensure responsible behaviour. Previously I have not endorsed strict liability or licensing. However, if the clubs and authorities do not engage positively I would need to consider these approaches.”

Liam Kerr, the Scottish Tory justice spokesman, said giving councils new powers would “have to be considered very carefully”.

Meanwhile, in a new book Tom Devine, Scotland’s leading historian, and fellow Edinburgh University academic, Michael Rosie, argue that recent media reports of religious hate crime against Catholics in Scotland are overblown and have heightened social anxieties.

They write: “Unpleasant things can indeed be seen and heard at football matches, episodes of drunken neddery and parades, but this is not the tip of some bigger and deeper ‘sectarian iceberg’. Rather it is all that remains of a social malaise in terminal decline.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/old-firm-to-face-ground-closures-for-foul-chants-qcs80m2h6

3 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Meanwhile, in a new book Tom Devine, Scotland’s leading historian, and fellow Edinburgh University academic, Michael Rosie, argue that recent media reports of religious hate crime against Catholics in Scotland are overblown and have heightened social anxieties.

I would have thought this was obvious, The problem is that the SNP already know this however, they think they need the Catholic victim mentality to keep them in power.

6 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

That’s not an official list dB. There has never been an “official” what can and can’t be sung list. Certain words in some songs were being pushed to criminalise under the old OBFA. If you change those words you can’t be charged. However, back to the point; there is no official list of songs. What you have put up was recommendations made to the Scot squad for use under the OBFA.

Oh, nothing surer than that. But it is as close to official as we have seen so far and obviously used as such. As I said, it should be us who say what is "acceptable", not some third party, especially not those with an agenda.